• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removal of defroster vent cowl

Peregrine

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '92 XJ. While working on the jeep today my 2 year old stuck a couple of things down the defroster vent on the passenger side. One being my metal tire pressure guage. Lesson learned!

I have tried a couple telescoping magnets but I cannot get it out of there...jammed. I need to know how difficult it is to get the cowl off from the drivers side. There is (1) on each side of the cowl...got those removed. When I open the glove compartment...I can remove another (2) which lets me lift up the cowl a bit on the passenger side. I need the drivers side to let loose. Anyone know where these screws are? Do I need to remove the cluster trim panel and/or instrument cluster? If it's not too difficult to get to those screws...I will go that method. Otherwise, I will keep trying with the magnets and some other crazy ideas to get that thing out of there. (I still don't know what else is down there now!) Thanks!

Back