• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long day in Big Bear

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Went up to Big Bear yesterday with a couple of buddies and s7tech Danny. We met up with lamula Gary and ran Deep Creek with no issues at all.

IMG_9394.jpg

We then went into town for lunch at the Sonora Cantina. Gary and his gang had to pass on the afternoon run.

We went to the trailhead for Gold Mountain and Jump This Rick was standing there looking lost. So he hopped in my Jeep and we headed out.

Gold Mountain was uneventful, so we went over to do John Bull. My buddy Luke is on 31s with an Aussie in his D44. He had a little issue in the first Rock Garden.

IMG_9396.jpg

We got the tie rod bent back as much as possible, then sleeved it with a Hi-Lift jack handle.

IMG_9397.jpg

IMG_9398.jpg

We finally got back to drop Rick off at his place and air back up in the dark around 9 pm. Got home at 11 pm, so it was a pretty long day.

Yeah, I thought it was a great idea since it was my rig and I couldn't think of a way to get my wheels to turn together in the same direction. But, we crawled through the rest of the trail and my jack-handle-tie-rod held up great being smashed into rocks and stuff. It was a great day!

Yea It was a good time. Wore me out though I slept most of the day. I did clean out my jeep. Thanks for the air Luke. We ran the trials so fast I never took any pictures except for the bent tie rod, but they are the same as Johnny's.

THAT was a big day - deep creek, gold mtn & JB - with mech probs, ya'll did awesome. I take it e-one walked away w/ little or no damage to other rigs, or peeps - great day for ya'll

Can you run John Bull on 31's taking different lines?

I had a great time. Thanks Johnny for picking me up and showing me around.

By the time we made it over to the east end of John Bull you could tell that there had been a lot of rain there earlier.

We do need to find a way to air up a bit quicker though...

:D

I would say you can do it. But your jeep is pretty clean Dan, and you would probably get some bumps and scrapes. So yes you can do it, but expect to pay the price. It is my favorite trail in BB.

I had a great time. Thanks Johnny for picking me up and showing me around.

By the time we made it over to the east end of John Bull you could tell that there had been a lot of rain there earlier.

We do need to find a way to air up a bit quicker though...

:D
It did take a while. That reminds me I gotta get new valve stems. Good to see you again Rick.

I ran it with 31's open/open many years ago (6 yrs). I did have rock rails and skid plates and they got used well. I had a great crew with me and spotting was right on.

You CAN run JB with 31's. I wouldn't run it without rock rails and tow points though. Also go with folks that know the trail and can spot.

If I had the rock rails on my 99 right now, I would run it. I am on 30's this week with no locker.

I ran john bull on 31's sitting on a budget boost left and rock rails. It helped that I had front and rear lockers though. You can do it open/open. You just might need a tug here or there.

Back