• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ axle shafts in XJ D30

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
Will TJ d30 axle shafts fit into the xj d30 housing without any issues?

I have a 98 xj and I am installing an auburn ected locker, which came with the entire d30 axle assembly from an 06 tj. Since my unit bearings were questionable, I was going to just swap the axle shafts from the tj into my xj. I measured them and the shafts are the same length, but the tj unit bearing is 1/8" shorter. I've heard that if you use tj unit bearings you have to use tj rotors, which isn't a problem.

I just want to make sure there won't be any problems before I do this. The tj axle only has 20k miles on it versus my xj's 175k! I figure it will freshen things up a little bit.

Will TJ d30 axle shafts fit into the xj d30 housing without any issues?

I have a 98 xj and I am installing an auburn ected locker, which came with the entire d30 axle assembly from an 06 tj. Since my unit bearings were questionable, I was going to just swap the axle shafts from the tj into my xj. I measured them and the shafts are the same length, but the tj unit bearing is 1/8" shorter. I've heard that if you use tj unit bearings you have to use tj rotors, which isn't a problem.

I just want to make sure there won't be any problems before I do this. The tj axle only has 20k miles on it versus my xj's 175k! I figure it will freshen things up a little bit.

just swap in the TJ axle! It should fiit directly you'll just have to remember that the front axle parts are for an 06 TJ. On second thought, your XJ has a HP D30 and i am pretty sure that TJ axle is a LP D30. Can someone chime in and say if that locker will even swap from a LP to HP axle?

The locker itself will swap, but the gears are different.The rotors need to match the unit bearings, otherwise its all a bolt together deal.
Thats correct!

yeah I'm swapping on my ring gear as the tj was a 3.07 ratio and mine is 3.55.

Thanks for the input, I'm definitely putting in the tj axles then!

Another somewhat related question:
I've heard that welding the u-joint caps to the yoke on the front axle makes it stronger/less prone to breaks. Anybody have any input on whether this is a good idea? While I have the axle shafts out, now would be the time to weld them.

yeah I'm swapping on my ring gear as the tj was a 3.07 ratio and mine is 3.55.

Thanks for the input, I'm definitely putting in the tj axles then!

Another somewhat related question:
I've heard that welding the u-joint caps to the yoke on the front axle makes it stronger/less prone to breaks. Anybody have any input on whether this is a good idea? While I have the axle shafts out, now would be the time to weld them.

Grind out the ears on the shaft for full circle clips. Makes it easier to replace the joints if you wear them out faster than you break them.

IF you dont do the full circle clip mod(search under the user name TORX for pics) just 2 small tacks on opposite sides of the cap is all you need. Nothing a grinder cant take care of. There is also no need at all to weld them fully around.

Back