• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Level of skill required for 2.5/AX5 to 4.0/AX15

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
What type of knowledge/skill would be needed for this type of swap? Assume both drivetrains are the same year. Would anything have to be welded/custom, or could it all be essentially "bolt off/on"?

Essentially bolt up. Exact same year shouldn't matter, because you'll need to swap computers, wiring, etc. along with engine and mounts. As long as the recip. and doaner are in the same range(renix/obd1/obd2) Easiest way would be having a whole doaner vehicle, because you are going to find out you need parts you forgot.

Before you start this project, you want to do a lot of reading on what the control differences are between the 2 engines.

I won't be doing this immediately, it was more out of curiosity. Some of the nicer jeeps for sale have the 2.5l, and I've driven both, and prefer the 4.0, so was curious as to the difficulty. Thanks for the replies.

Considering that you said complete drivetrain, both engine and transmission, flywheel should come sandwiched in between. I'd probably just replace the clutch before stuffing the 4.0/AX15 in, that'd be darned near a no-brainer.

If you're sticking with the same year, you shouldn't have any fab work. What year? You've probably got more latitude, at least stick with the same family.

One other thought: if you've got a full gauge package, the tach won't work right after the switch. There's a potentiometer that needs to be adjusted, or just get a 4.0l IP.

I have done this. I updated an 85XJ to a 4.7L stroker. If your year model is newer, things are a lot easier. On the 85, the hood and front radiator/lights support must be replaced and will necessitate some sheetmetal fabing. The fire wall also has to be moved back but it can be done with a BFH. None of this is required on an 87 or later IIRC.

Even on the 85, all the holes needed in the body/frame already exist. It is a bolt in affair. Just make sure and get all the wiring from the donor vehicle, even the in dash wiring. This will make your life a lot easier.

In Colorado, you have to get it state inspected when you are done. You aren't allowed to use an earlier year model engine in the swap. Since emissions testing here uses a computer, it is best to know the VIN from the donor vehicle. The computer looks up the VIN and figures out the engine/tranny and knows the inspection limits. Having the new VIN makes the work with the state a lot easier.

depends.

on a 1987+, the swap is literally a bolt-in swap. it involves swapping ALL wiring, trans, t-case, engine, and all electrical accessories. you cannot mix and match the transmissions between a 4 cylinder and a straight 6....they are not compatible bellhousings.

however, if your 4 cylinder happens to be an 86, you will have to swap your hood, radiator supports (parts behind headlight buckets), front crossmember, and you may have to hammer a little bit in the passenger side lower transmission hump to clear the transmission.

on a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 5. it's not hard....you just need the right tools, the time, and patience to do it right. you also need to be willing and able to ask questions if you are unsure of something. pride has no place in the process of doing a swap like this....pride is only acceptable upon completeion.

What's your price range? Just watch Craigslist for a couple days. I got a 2000 XJ with around 100k mi for 2 grand. Came with 2 motors, the stock was blown and the new motor has 80k mi on it. I would rather swap transmissions around than an entire drivetrain. The jeep I bought was an original auto, but I am swapping in an AX-15 along with the new motor. If you care to consider this, follow my buildup, I should be getting the transmission in and the motor running this week.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1001021

Back