• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement TRE dust boots?

T3hk1w1

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled a V8 ZJ tie rod from the JY today, and found after I got home that there was a large chunk of the dust boot missing from the solid end of the tie rod.
Has anyone tried these replacement TRE dust boots? Do they work?

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/tie_r.html

Last edited:
Ok, got a dumb question now.

How do you remove the original boot? It's fitted on pretty tightly and I don't want to damage the TRE

Pry at the bottom with a screwdriver. . The bottom of the boot is like a washer all enclosed in the rubber. Pry up beneath the rubber going around in a circle , eventually it will work itself loose. The TRE's are tough, I don't think you will ruin it.

Dorman has replacement boots in their Help! line.

Remove the old one with a knife or needlenose or whatever. Clean the TRE really well with mineral spirits and let dry. Put some superglue around the lip of the replacement boot and seat it on the TRE. Then use a zip tie to lock it in place (the superglue will fail eventually).

Dorman has replacement boots in their Help! line.

Remove the old one with a knife or needlenose or whatever. Clean the TRE really well with mineral spirits and let dry. Put some superglue around the lip of the replacement boot and seat it on the TRE. Then use a zip tie to lock it in place (the superglue will fail eventually).

thanks!!

I am running some Poly replacement boots I got from Summit. They have held up and kept the TREs sealed for over year now. They are sized differently for specific TREs, so you must know your size to order. But they are more expensive than rubber replacements, I happened to have a gift card with a small balance and tried them out.

Back