• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior removal and installation

Emerscape

NAXJA Forum User
My dog has completely ruined the interior of my car. Not that he's eaten or chewed on anything but more the fact that he's a Newfoundland and has drooled on and soaked (from swiming) all of my carpets. I've gone ahead and purchased a weathertech cargo tray for the cargo area and have removed the carpet from there, but I want to replace the "passenger area carpet" front and rear seat floors. I've searched the internet but it appears that most carpets are like $200+. I did find a wrecked XJ that is being parted out with carpet that is in good shape. What is the best way for pulling it and how should I go about replacing mine. Do I need to use an adhesive, anything else I should be doing when I pull the carpet, what do I need to remove from the interior, etc? Any help would be great

Well I am sure someone else can clean this up a bit more if I miss anything, but for the most part all you need is a phillips screw drive, might have a flat head as well, and take out all the screws you see and start pulling panels, as they usually are just snapped into the side walls and such... The only thing is did your dog only mess up the rear cargo area carpet or all of it?? If it is more than just the rear area carpet then won't he end up doing that again?? I was actuallyy thinking of pulling all of my carpet out and doing the bed liner in there for the mud from off roading, the fur and wetness from dogs, and all together easier cleaning... Other than that all you should have to do is pull the door jamb pieces out, center console, and the seats, other than that as far as I know you should be able to work the old carpet out and work in the new carpet without having to take anything else out.... There is not adhesives or anything that hold the carpet in, it is all just formed fit, and goes behind the side panels, and under the door jamb pieces, the center console and the seats....

Also, the carpets are front/back, not side/side. To do the passenger side, front and back, you'll have to replace all the carpet.

thanks for the responses.. Yeah he did end up ruining the whole cargo area carpet and I did consider just rhino lining it but I figured I'd want some padding so he isn't riding on the solid floor. I ended up finding a weathertech cargo liner for $50 and the rear carpet out of another xj for $30 so I'm just going to replace it. Plus I'd like to keep the jeep looking somewhat factor. Sounds like the front should be pretty easy. I was considering just pulling the front, washing it down and scrubbing it and then shop vac the water out of it.. but I only have a day to two days to work on it so I can't chance the carpet still being wet.

the center console is pretty easy to remove. i just did this yesterday to replace my ebrake lever so ill give you some quick tips. (this is on a 97 BTW, so an earlier model may have screws in different places). all you need is a phillips head, and a flat head to make life easier. just pop off the bezel starting at the bottom that goes around the radio. theres either 4 or 6 little retaining tabs that it will pop out of. just unscrew the center console container and take it out. IIRC there were 2 screws holding the rest of the main console underneath the container, plus one under the transfercase lever and shift boot (mines manual but theres prob a screw in the same location of the auto). use the flat head to pop off the tcase and tranny lever covers. the auto shift knob pulls straight off and the tcase lever handle fits through and is easier to do if you place it in 4Lo. there may be a duct under the console that runs to the rear. mine atleast just pulled right out and wasnt attached to anything

HTH

Back