• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep xj on 35s axle swap

jeepxjon35s

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1987 jeep cherokee 4.0, aw4 np231 dana 30 front dana 35 rear
lifted 6 inchs on 35 inch mud rovers! the dana 35 has a lock rite locker
i installed a couple months ago and finaly i was going around a corner and slamed as the gas to get sideways and bam!!! i eat the shit out of my ring and pinion! so my question is what would be the best and easiest axles to swap in to my cherokee?

Dana 44 out of a Late '80s XJ

look around in mod tech, this has been covered a million times and its obvious youve never looked around, because the 87 xj d44 is the obvious choice, theres also the 95+ ford explorer 8.8, or a 29spline chrysler 8.25 out of a late model cherokee. the 44 and the 8.25 would be bolt-in, except for d/s (you didnt say anything bout an sye, and i wouldnt be surprised)

what were you thinking putting an autolocker in a 35?

Do your homework and make sure you can identify a Dana 44. I've seen junkyards assume it's a Dana 44 just cause it's in an 87 with a tow package or something - anyhow, just make sure it's what you think it is. . .

Here you Go. This Should Help you Spot a Dana 44. Both Photos are XJ Dana 44s.

XJ Dana 44 Rear Axle Assembly

Found in Late 80's XJ's with Towing Package. MJ versions have Spring Perches on Bottom. Threaded Fill Plug.

10 Bolt Cover
Angular Cover and Housing.
Ring Gear 8.5"s

IDaxlemarkings.gif

Dana44rear_XJ88.jpg

standard.jpg

jeepxjon35s,

Do you want to sell the lockright? I am very interested and have been looking for a used one. How many miles are on it?

Please let me know. Thanks Man.

Back