• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

15x8 vs 15x10 with 35's

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So I got 35" radial claws on Soft 8's, I'm under the impression they are 15x8 (they came with the truck). I'm not a huge fan of steel...and prefer lighter weight of alloys. I've been browsing used wheels....and everyone seems to have 15x10's. I found a set of MT Classic II's for $150...but they are 15x10's. I'm not sure of the offset of the Soft 8's, but they stick way out. I'm afraid the 10's will stick further out! I'd prefer to keep them in tight....
Any comments??

are they 35x12.5? if so, you can run them on an 8" rim no problem. guys run 33x12.5's on 8" rims all the time. I'm doing it, and a friend of mine has 35x12.5's on his jeep on 8" rims. It seems to me that it actually helps to keep the bead seated with low air because they fit tighter.

as for sticking out, the higher you go without going wider, the higher your center of gravity and the more likely you are to go belly-up. wider is gooder the more lift you've got.

I have sort of the same problem. I'd like to go with 15x10s on 33x12.50s but people tell me the bead won't seat as well and I shouldn't do it, even though I see lots of people with that setup. The only other problem I have is how far the tires will stick out.

i ran 33x12.5 on 10" rims for along time (now 35's) aired down to 10-12 psi and never had a problem.

Those Classic II's will be chewed up pretty quick. I prefer steel on my Jeep since it does see trail action.

Those Classic II's will be chewed up pretty quick. I prefer steel on my Jeep since it does see trail action.

No issues with some chewing...I chewed up my stock alloys pretty well on the first XJ, prior to replacing them with Moabs...I'd prefer the lighter alloys, but don't want them sticking out any further. I guess I need to check the offset of ea rim...that would tell me if they will stick out further.:doh:

a lot of people say the rule is to have the tire 4" wider than the rim so that you have 2" or rummber to protect from rock rash. The tire will have a straighter profile with a wider rim as it doesnt bend in to the rim as far.

Lots a people in Hawaii, as stupid as it seams here, run 12" tires on 12" rims.... lots a 15" wheels on 15" rims for that matter... Terryg runs 33's on 10" rims and his heep rambles all kinds of stuff!

I agree with ChuckstrPT that offset is gonna tell you how much further out the tires are going to sit.

:cheers:

a lot of people say the rule is to have the tire 4" wider than the rim so that you have 2" or rummber to protect from rock rash. The tire will have a straighter profile with a wider rim as it doesnt bend in to the rim as far.

Lots a people in Hawaii, as stupid as it seams here, run 12" tires on 12" rims.... lots a 15" wheels on 15" rims for that matter... Terryg runs 33's on 10" rims and his heep rambles all kinds of stuff!

I agree with ChuckstrPT that offset is gonna tell you how much further out the tires are going to sit.

:cheers:

Seems to me, a 12.5in. tire on a 12 in. rim is like saying "do me" in rocks.

I am running 33x12.50's on a 15x8 rim and love it. Dad is running 33x12.50's on a 15x10 rim...

The other week we did the Rubicon, he popped 3 beads on that trail (running maybe 12psi) I popped zero beads (so far on all the trails) running about (running 9 psi).

Needless to say he's in the market for some 15x8's when he decides to upgrade (if he doesn't upgrade the size too).

I run 15x10 on my MJ and XJ at 12-15 PSI on the trails and I have not popped a bead yet. I got 35x13.50 inch Krawlers on the MJ and 34x12.50 Truxs MTs on my XJ. Plus I like the look of 10s better than 8s.

Id rather have a 8" wheel. Thats all my buddies run with 12.50s and we're rarely reseating a bead on the trail.

I think it looks better and on your XJ those Soft 8s looked fine to me. Sure you can jazz the look up a bit with something a bit flashier but with the herc'ed rockers and all Id almost stay with the steelies.

Just my .02..

Back