• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick transmission question.

AZCA jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '87 with a BA-10 that has been acting up quite a bit. From what I've read they're not the best transmissions in the world and are not worth rebuilding. I know 90-00 XJ's had the coveted AX-15. If I pick up an AX-15 will the swap be fairly straight forward? I have a straight 6 and NP231. If I find a chero with a straight 6 and 231 I'm good to go right? If not what do I need to do?

I don't think the BA10 and AX15 are the same length, or the same bolt pattern, so you may need the rear driveshaft and bell housing too.

I don't think the BA10 and AX15 are the same length, or the same bolt pattern, so you may need the rear driveshaft and bell housing too.

Broke my own rule and didn't do the search before asking.

You're correct, looks like I will need the bell housing but I will also need the slave cylinder and master cylinder. I have yet to find anything about the rear driveshaft though.

EDIT: found a great thread.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388&highlight=BA10+AX15

Last edited:
Back