• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker NP 231 shifter

blaisetd

NAXJA Forum User
After searching for a replacement shifter for the t case i've only come up with the Novak and the Skyjacker (JSRB231A) models. I'm leaning towards the Skyjacker due to the price, the install looks easier from the instructions and i think it uses the stock shifter handle. The problem is that Skyjacker doesn't state the part will fit the XJ. Just wanted a second opinion if anyone else thought it would work. thanks in advance blaise
Linky http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/71471
or http://www.skyjacker.com/image/search/pdf/JSRB231A.pdf

I've installed the Skyjacker one on a few flat bellied TJ's.. it's a pain in the ARSE... you have to have a welder. You will have to cut and sleeve the shift lever then weld the sleve to the lever at the exact length.. the bracket and lever seem to flex some when you force the issue with the shifter.. But for it's purpose it does the job..

the novak one is specifically designed for the xj, and is a well put together kit. is the extra hassle of adapting the skyjacker kit worth it?

The Novak kit also reverses the pattern,whats wrong with the factory set-up!

...Just a thought...err,.
Had the same problem after transfer case linkage with haveing to modify either the Novak or Skyjacker, shifters ..so fabricated my own useing plasma cutter and MIG welder and some flat plate-Inspired by my sucess tried to make and fabricate additional parts-Nothing like a little ole Yankee ingenuity and the wisdom of the NAXJA forums to keep the ole XJ rollin-
Also just went crazy and made up front and rear bumpers ,..etc.
bxj

blaisetd said:
IIRF doesn't the Novak kit involve bending a linkage to fit? What exactly does that entail? blaise
The 1/2" diameter solid rod between the shifter handle and the pivot on the transfer case needs to be bent to install the shifter. I haven't installed mine yet, but I'm planning on bending it with a torch and a vise.

RCP Phx said:
The Novak kit also reverses the pattern,whats wrong with the factory set-up!
The Novak changes the stock 'z-style' linkage with a more direct one. The reversed pattern is a result of simplifying the linkage.

hippymill said:
the novak one is specifically designed for the xj, and is a well put together kit
The Novak kit isn't XJ-specific. It's adaptable to Jeeps with an NP231, NP242, or NP241. It is well-put together though. The quality on my kit seems very high, and the instructions are very detailed.

I used the Novak one on mine.

novak3.jpg

Relatively easy to install. I didn't have a torch to bend the rod with so I notched it with a grinder and bent it that way.

The only thing that might end up being difficult is a shifter boot. I cut down a factory 5-speed one to put around the shifter on the console, but there's no lower shift boot in place. This didn't really bother me but if someone's looking for a more 'sealed' installation it might be hard.

vetteboy said:
I cut down a factory 5-speed one to put around the shifter on the console
That looks really good. I have a spare boot laying around too; I'll definitely be stealing that idea. Are those just self-tapping screws holding it to the console?

Mambeu said:
That looks really good. I have a spare boot laying around too; I'll definitely be stealing that idea. Are those just self-tapping screws holding it to the console?

Yeah...with a little more patience you could probably make it look even cleaner. I just wanted something to keep the wind from coming in.

Another cool thing about this shifter - I've since swapped out the AX15/NP231 setup for a NV4500/NP231 crawlbox/D300, and the shifter still works fine to operate the crawlbox. Same hole in the floor and everything.

vetteboy said:
Yeah...with a little more patience you could probably make it look even cleaner. I just wanted something to keep the wind from coming in.
Did you try to make it work with the slot in the factory bezel before you went to the boot? I have a spare bezel too, and actually removed the "2HI-4HI-N-4LO" piece, turned it 180* and glued it back in, so I could still have the backlighting. I don't think I'm going to use that bezel though, because my new t-case has a 2LO installed.

Mambeu said:
Did you try to make it work with the slot in the factory bezel before you went to the boot? I have a spare bezel too, and actually removed the "2HI-4HI-N-4LO" piece, turned it 180* and glued it back in, so I could still have the backlighting. I don't think I'm going to use that bezel though, because my new t-case has a 2LO installed.

Yeah...with the spot that I had all the pivots installed, the throw was too far for the stock bezel. If you change the mounting points on the lever you might be able to make it work but it'll be a lot harder to shift. You'll have to be a lot more precise on bending the lever and you still won't have a lower shift boot (unless you can find something that works, I couldn't).

Mine was a clusterfuck from the start anyway, it was a 2wd XJ from the factory so I never had the right shifter in place to start with.

vetteboy said:
You'll have to be a lot more precise on bending the lever and you still won't have a lower shift boot (unless you can find something that works, I couldn't).
I used a hard piece of flat rubber cut down the middle nad folded on top of itself so that when you shift it ends up separating the rubber folds.

Oh yeah... Novak all the way. Best $ I have spent on my jeep to date.

BTW the reason i'm looking for a replacement is after a recent motor install i noticed the linkage had popped out of the body side mount. I put it back in and adjusted the linkage. It pops out any time i try to shift no matter where i set the linkage rod. With a trip planned this coming weekend i'll probably have to employ the “under truck shift technique”

Kejtar said:
I used a hard piece of flat rubber cut down the middle nad folded on top of itself so that when you shift it ends up separating the rubber folds.
Do you have any pics of that? I don't think I'm going to be able to use the factory bezel, since I want the t-case shifter handle to stick up higher than stock; I don't like bending over to shift.

Back