• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best On road Steering set up for 3-4" lift.

GTABurnout

NAXJA Forum User
Thats right I don't do as much off roading as I thought so I want this thing to at least handle ok on road or its gone.

I am currently running RR HD steering with two nylon washers to calm it down. And it still sucks. So I am making a choice to spend so coin to keep the jeep or sell it and walk away. Help me keep it.

I was thinging Currie since it wont have issues with hitting rocks ect. Or should I go back to OEM. I do have a 3.5 inch Oldm man EMU lisft so its not stock heoght.

Thanks

Are you talking about general road manners like cornering, body roll, etc.? Or are you talking about variables dealing with ride quality?

I mean, a lifted vehicle of any kind can't really be expected to handle like a car, or even like the stock setup for that matter.

It sounds like the best you could get would be to not only go back to OEM, but widen the stance and lower the thing.

wj is real nice

Thats right I don't do as much off roading as I thought so I want this thing to at least handle ok on road or its gone.

I am currently running RR HD steering with two nylon washers to calm it down. And it still sucks. So I am making a choice to spend so coin to keep the jeep or sell it and walk away. Help me keep it.

I was thinging Currie since it wont have issues with hitting rocks ect. Or should I go back to OEM. I do have a 3.5 inch Oldm man EMU lisft so its not stock heoght.

Thanks
If it's a 91 plus just go with ZJ tie rod. if it's pre 91 the tie rod and drag link. the tie rod ends are bigger and the tie rod is solid steel not hollow. great bang for buck mod for lower lifted cherokees.and best of all, its bolts right up!!

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have any experience with the IRO OTK steering setup? Just curious how the heims hold up on a DD, are people having to rebuild the joint every couple months or are they working well?

I guess what I am trying to do is make it a better DD/Highway truck. I like the ability to go off road but I don't need a complicated steering set up. Just something that will get rid of the dead spot I have with the RR and last.

Body roll isn't an issue and I seem to have gotten the DW down to a min. I want to basically be able to not have to shuffle the steering wheel back and forth to go stright.

Other than going with the Grand Cherokee tie rod, I'd say the best road steering would be Currie. It's completely stock geometry, but is much beefier and the TRE's are bigger. I have it and it makes the stock steering feel like drinking straws. I tried just upgrading my tie rod with a TnT piece and it bent on my first run. Haven't had a single problem with the Currie and my steering feels exactly the same as stock. No dead spots or anything. Install was cake, just take off stock stuff and add Currie stuff. I drive my Jeep 60+ miles a day, mostly on the highway with no issues.

Oh, and I figured if EricsXJ ran Currie with 35's on the rocks in Nevada, it would hold up to the wheeling I do.

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have any experience with the IRO OTK steering setup? Just curious how the heims hold up on a DD, are people having to rebuild the joint every couple months or are they working well?

Search, this has been covered many times.

Currie has a nice setup EXCEPT for the part that the passenger TRE is not replaceable...you need to re-purchase the biggest part of the setup when that wears out!! Pretty solid setup otherwise....they just need to make that TRE replaceable for it to be a real good setup to run. I know a few people running it, and that's their only complaint.

For the cheap, V8 ZJ setup.

What is the RR HD kit??? Heims? I run heims, over the knuckle, inverted T, on 1.5" dom and it rides mint on the highway at 5.5-6" of lift all the way up to 75 mph.

Looks like I will give the currie a shot I want stock feeling back this thing wares me out right now.

I just did a 2K mile road trip with it and its a pain.

Thanks for the help...

Currie has a nice setup EXCEPT for the part that the passenger TRE is not replaceable...you need to re-purchase the biggest part of the setup when that wears out!! Pretty solid setup otherwise....they just need to make that TRE replaceable for it to be a real good setup to run. I know a few people running it, and that's their only complaint.

Just talked to one of the guys at Currie today. He said there's no plans to make that TRE replaceable. If I understood him correctly, he explained that maintaining the OEM fit requires the bend at the end of the drag link which in turn prevents the use of a threaded in TRE. I guess there's not enough straight bar stock to drill and tap threads into with this design.

I'm still planning on getting it eventually though. I figure if my stock TRE's have lasted 10 years, the heavy duty ones they use (which are also angled properly to lessen binding on a lifted suspension) should last me at least that long. If my XJ is still in one piece 10-15 years from now and I have to buy a new $200 drag link... so be it.

Just talked to one of the guys at Currie today. He said there's no plans to make that TRE replaceable. If I understood him correctly, he explained that maintaining the OEM fit requires the bend at the end of the drag link which in turn prevents the use of a threaded in TRE. I guess there's not enough straight bar stock to drill and tap threads into with this design.

I'm still planning on getting it eventually though. I figure if my stock TRE's have lasted 10 years, the heavy duty ones they use (which are also angled properly to lessen binding on a lifted suspension) should last me at least that long. If my XJ is still in one piece 10-15 years from now and I have to buy a new $200 drag link... so be it.

That makes sense...if you look at it, it doesn't seem to be an easy task to just tap the thing and run a replaceable TRE on there. The currie setup is definitely solid!! It will take a good beating off of rocks and not bend...but that TRE doesn't love you too much after a few years of beating off of rocks and lots of road miles. Sucks they couldn't make it replaceable, but oh well. Not knocking it by any means, just pointing out it's short fall. No setup is 100% perfect, and every setup will have it's pluses and minuses.

What is RR HD X2????????:huh:

I'm at 4.5" and I installed the rustys steering conversion. When I first installed it I had a horrible dead spot. Like a Quarter turn dead spot. I called rustys and they said the drag link needs to go on top. Not on the front like the stock inverted y set up. I found that about ten degrees forward of top worked best. It drives straight as an arrow and is extremely responsive with no dead spot at all.

Back