• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 sport fuel pressure

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so the specs on the fuel pressure say 49psi while primed and running. I have been having starting issues for a bit (2 years) and have finally narrowed it down.

so if i crank it over a couple of separate times it will always start, hooked up a gauge to it this afternoon and it read 0, most likely cause I released the pressure hooking up the gauge. Turned the key and the pressure went up to 30psi, turned it to "on' a couple more times and it went to 39psi, turned the key and it fired right up, running at 41psi, it's sitting now to see if it looses all pressure and I know about the aftermarket check valve but shouldn't my running pressure be 49? not 41....is my pump junk?

TIA

doug

just went out and checked and it was down to 20...primed it back up to 39 and watched it drop.....so I can put in a check valve or do I have to replace the whole thing?

I think the spec is 49 +/- 5. So you are only 5 PSI down. I wouldn't replace it just for that as long as it runs good. On the other hand, if you would need to rig up a check valve anyway, why not replace the whole fuel pump module? You might need to do that soon anyway.

drove it around town and when I came home it was at 49psi so that's good, I don't really mind having to crank it so many times but It will get annoying really quick, everything else has been ruled out and the spark is so good half my arm went numb:scared: litterally everything else has been replaced and considering the condition of the stock fuel filter I swapped on monday the pump is in rough shape.....it's also makes a rather loud buzzing noise which I have been told is a good time to replace.

doug

Back