• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MudFlap Laws in Ca?

No law specifically relating to tire size.

There is a law stating that your tires must be covered by a flare or mudflap if they stick out past the body. Enforcement is spotty at best.

I just had a cop get behind me the other day most likely to run my plates. But he didn’t pull me over and I’m running 35” on 6” lift.

I live in Costa Mesa and was pulled over once for having my tires stick out 1.5" from the fender flare... no ticket, but who wants to be pulled over?

Fenders and Mudguards
27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.
Amended Ch. 215, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

The CHP in Big Bear busted me on Fathers Day for no mud flaps ( He will be gettin a warm,moist, pile of crap under his tree come christmas mornin)......SANTA

Friend of mine got hit for 33's on his SFA KJ for no flaps in BB a couple years ago. BB could make a killling for that w/ all the Jeeps running around up there w/ no flaps.

With cali being broke, we can probably anticipate more of this happening...

Well send em a state issued IOU if get stoped and have to pay ... :p

Oh, and while sort of on topic any good write ups on decent mudflaps and quick disconnect type mounting of them?

44 is max tire size.
Any tire sticking out past body has to have mud flaps by law.
As stated above, hardly enforced in most places. I put 150k on my 99 w/ 7" lift 35x12.5s and never got a ticket. It one of those things they typically dont pull you over for it, but if you get pulled over for something else they will at it to your final bill.

If you get hit a quick fix are truck mud flaps. The kind for the back of semi trucks. Just take 3 sheet metal screws and pop them on, get it written off, and before you leave the parking lot rip them off.

Last edited:
i got busted in Visalia on my way to see farmer mat. 33's on 4.75BS. 50 dollar fix it ticket (remember when they were free?) and had to put on some dirty butt flaps that the CHP who signed off on it didnt even check to see if they were there.

You have no idea how the system works do you?

How does the system work?

I have spoke with many people who feel that cities are increasing citations as a form of revenue. I would love to know that is not the truth.

Few people recieved mudflap violations in the past though several have recieved them recently. Could be coincidence, could be an indicator that tickets are being used as a revenue source.

I look forward to your opinion.

Just in case anybody thinks there is some kind of quota system for citations, there's not. It's illegal for any jurisdiction to establish quotas. The number of citations an officer writes is one indicator of productivity, it shows you're not just sitting on your butt waiting for dispatch to send you a call. If an officer writes no tickets in a month and doesn't have any arrests or some other kind of productivity to account for the time, it shows he's a lazy ass and his sergeant will ride him to do something. Some people like to write alot of cites, some do not. It's all the luck of the draw.

How does the system work?

I have spoke with many people who feel that cities are increasing citations as a form of revenue. I would love to know that is not the truth.

Few people recieved mudflap violations in the past though several have recieved them recently. Could be coincidence, could be an indicator that tickets are being used as a revenue source.

I look forward to your opinion.

Fines from citations go to the City or County they were issued in; not the state. More to what John said, it would be illegal to increase the demands on any given department to increase the revenue for the city.

Mud flap tickets don't carry any "fines." There is a court processing fee that is usually about $10-25 and that all goes to the court to pay for what ever it is that costs $10 to send you a piece of paper telling you to fix what ever it is you were stopped for.

Now there are certain departments (like mine) that are funded solely with the Vehicle Registration fund and we may have an eye out for 4000(a)(1) VC violations, but again that is a fix-it ticket, with no additional revenue being sent to municipalitys or the State.

Make sense?

Back