• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which SYE ?

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
1997 Cherokee with NP-242
I am going to install an RE 3.5" Lift with Springs.
Do I need an SYE, and if so, which one ?
I'm on a tight Budget.

No you probably wont even need a SYE. You might need a t-case drop at most.

If you do want a SYE SEARCH!!! Its been covered at least 100 times in the last year.

AA is now buying Crown SYEs so you can save a ton of money and get the same exact SYE from Crown for $150.

I've got the same lift, but with a 93. I had to drop the t-case an inch and use 2 degree shims. The t-case drop is easy. just buy inch longer bolts and a crap load of washers.

Tight budget = No SYE and CV driveshaft. That may also mean a makeshift TC drop. I went with an $80 1" drop and found it to be not much more than a drilled piece of 1" square tubing.

On a related note, my crossmember is bent to sh8t because of the loss of clearance.

1" at the case is NOT a big problem. I wheeled with 3" lift for years without a t-case strike, first on 31's, then on 33's. The Jeep 242 hangs a little lower than the 231, but if you (the driver) are aware of limitations and pick a careful line, it's not a big issue. I recently (finally) got my SYE (Tom Woods) and was able to loose the t-case drop. I'm glad to have the extra inch, butstill feel the t-case drop is not a huge problem. Just my $0.02 from a fellow 242'er that's been there.

Back