• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low profile electrical fan replacement

whatevah

It's Yellah!
After a minor collision and a TJ motor swap, my stock electrical fan is rubbing on a pully. It had enough clearance with the stock motor, but I guess something is just different enough on the TJ motor where it's causing a problem.

Any ideas? I only need to replace the stock electric fan, the clutch fan is fine. Year is 2001 if that matters.

I'm not a Body Person, however, It sounds like you may have to have your Front End pulled out a bit. XJ Front Ends are weak and Crumple in without Front Stiffeners. Jeep 4.0s of the same Group (2000+) are pretty much the same. IMHO

I'm afraid that time has passed. the accident and body work was done 12/07 and the bumper isn't coming off easily. I just need a smaller fan, unless I can figure out how to make new mounts to tuck the current fan a half-inch closer to the radiator.

Do you still have the old motor? It would probably be easier to compare why the new one is hitting, and swap over the pulleys and such that clear from the old motor to the new one. If you don't have this option any longer, than maybe measure the factory elec. fan, and check out Summit for a good cross-cut of aftermarket elec. fans available and compare measurements. Or take a ride to the local u-pull-it and compare other factory elec. fans in other cars/trucks.

The old motor is gone. All of the accessories were moved to the new motor, though. Only thing new is a high flow water pump. I was hoping somebody else had already done the research for a fan that fit AND has enough CFM, with the million fan threads on here. :) Ah, well...

Stock radiator, the header panel was replaced. But, like I said... this was done a long time ago.

Nope I don't know anybody else that has done the powertech accessory swap although I am wanting to so that I can move the alternator and A/C around. I'm surprised to hear that the accessories are that much further forward (the block is the same).

Actually, there was a bit of grinding, cutting, drilling and tapping needed. After 99, the blocks branched off. It's not a direct swap anymore. The oil pressure sensor was in a different spot (rear of block), the oil filter attachment is different (straight out, no 90* adapter or angled output), some of the bolt holes weren't tapped or needed to be ground down 1" before drilling, had to use the TJ timing cover (I forget), just a lot of extra work we didn't expect. So it's not entirely surprising that there is a problem with the fan clearance, it was tight to begin with.

I see you have a '01 XJ. If I may ask, what year TJ did the 4.0 (Long Block I'm Thinking) come out of?

Actually, there was a bit of grinding, cutting, drilling and tapping needed. After 99, the blocks branched off. It's not a direct swap anymore. The oil pressure sensor was in a different spot (rear of block), the oil filter attachment is different (straight out, no 90* adapter or angled output), some of the bolt holes weren't tapped or needed to be ground down 1" before drilling, had to use the TJ timing cover (I forget), just a lot of extra work we didn't expect. So it's not entirely surprising that there is a problem with the fan clearance, it was tight to begin with.

Interesting thanks

2002 Landrunner. :)

Back