• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

desertvet

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, Just got a smoken deal on a 91 (4.0HP) sport in great shape. Its a deal because the tranny is out. Runs great but wont move in any gear. Took the trans cooler line off and ran the engine, nothing. No flud came out no matter what gear I put it in. It wont even click in when the shifter is moved. I checked the linkage and all is good the shift shaft even turns in the trans.

My issue is the local mechanic said about $1,800.00 to rebuild it. I can get a used one much cheaper, but wont know the history/condition of the trans. All the stuf I have found said 91-96 are the same, has anyone used and even newer transmission in the older heeps? Will a newer one go right in without modification or is it a big hassle and I should find a 91-96?

-Is the fluid level ok on dipstick? -Condition?

-Did you check both lines from Trans to radiator cooler for damage? Fluid flow out right at the Trans itself? (Forward fitting is the output)

Not sure but I think the pump is accessable from front of trans - might be worth a try to replace the pump with new or used pump then try it again. Hopefully some one that knows trans can verify if that works.

??? If pump quits-does trans 'fry' or just stop working???
(might just be the pump itself)

If you do get it to run suggest change atf to fresh Dex lll Right away.

Good Luck,
O

All lines are good, at least from outside appearance. No flow from the line which comes from the trans. Pulled the quick disconnect from the side of the trans and nothing. fluid is good and red, but smells burnt. Looks like the guy prior to me tried to service it to correct the problem.

My thought is this trans is likly toast. So rather than pay 1800 for a rebuilt, put a used one in.

-Is the fluid level ok on dipstick? -Condition?

-Did you check both lines from Trans to radiator cooler for damage? Fluid flow out right at the Trans itself? (Forward fitting is the output)

Not sure but I think the pump is accessable from front of trans - might be worth a try to replace the pump with new or used pump then try it again. Hopefully some one that knows trans can verify if that works.

??? If pump quits-does trans 'fry' or just stop working???
(might just be the pump itself)

If you do get it to run suggest change atf to fresh Dex lll Right away.

Good Luck,
O

(Ouch!)

Flush the cooler and lines real good.

Adding a Aux Trans Cooler, while your in there-might be a good idea.

Regards and Good Luck,
O

All the stuf I have found said 91-96 are the same, has anyone used and even newer transmission in the older heeps? Will a newer one go right in without modification or is it a big hassle and I should find a 91-96?

Don't go newer. There were some sensor changes in the newer years that won't play nice with the older transmission computer. I would suggest getting a low mileage used one before rebuilding yours.

Swap in a used one from a pre 96 and you should be good. Don't go as far back as the Renix era ones though as the output shaft spline count was different.

Thanks, looks like that is the best way to go. Checked on kbb.com, the heep is only worth 1500 in excellent condition. Makes no sence to put an $1800 trans in it.

Don't go newer. There were some sensor changes in the newer years that won't play nice with the older transmission computer. I would suggest getting a low mileage used one before rebuilding yours.

There's a document called "Shift Pointers" that has a troubleshooting outline. Find that and go through that document. That'll help narrow down your problem.

Back