• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ IS lacking LOTS OF POWER

Gold Coast XJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, hey everybody, im new to this and im new to the whole Jeep scene, im not too mechanically minded but im pretty decent.
Ok then i have a 95 XJ which is a brilliant car, but it has a few issues, the main one being when i am drivving along the highway my poor old Cherokee is struggling to get to 110Kmh, and when it does the revs will shoot up as if it wonts to change gears but it loses speed and eventually downshifts, i have checked the fluid leveland all is good.
Any ideas of what the problem could be or what could make it run a bit better? Cheers....And i will take some photos of it soon and post them up!

The TPS does send signal to the Transmission Control Unit. It can be checked with an analog voltmeter. There are many posts on how to check this out. What happens when you shift the gears manually?

Just changed the TPS on my son's '92. His was hunting gears at random times and the throttle would surge for no reason occasionally. It's a $50 part on e-bay, literally about ten minutes to change. Two screws and unplug/plug-in the harness.

Welcome to NAXJA! I'd try to search for threads involving the TPS there is a sticy thread up near the top that is the guide to searching on here it will help you out!

Not sure if it has a catalytic converter but if it does check to make sure it is not plugged.

Back