• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ vent window leaking like crazy

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
The other day I took my XJ into an automatic car was to clean it off (didn't feel like spending 45 minutes at the manual car wash), and every time the sprayer hit either vent window, it seemed like gallons of water poured into the cab from the front "diagonal" part of the vent window. I have noticed that on my XJ there is not any sort of seal or weatherstripping on the window itself, is that how its supposed to be? Some cars with vent windows have a little seal all the way around the vent window itself, along with the seal on the door. I'm just wondering if mine is missing that seal. I also get whistling when on the highway from the vent windows, but from the searches I've done it appears thats normal for the opening vent windows? What have you guys done to alleviate water leakage with your vent windows? It leaks right into the controls for the power doors and windows, I'm sure its not good for that stuff to get wet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yep, you're missing parts. Mine have a rubber gasket that goes all the way around. Doesn't let much water in, but the wind noise gets pretty bad above ~70 mph. I put a penny between the frame ant the latch and that quiets it down significantly. I want to say that you can get the seal from teamcherokee.com

EDIT:
http://www.teamcherokee.com/Weatherstrip/index.html
Third item from bottom of page. Prolly find a better price elsewhere, but as a last resort ...

If you're referring to a seal on the movable glass, there is none. These windows can leak in several different ways.

Check first that the rubber seal is not bent or distorted where it contacts the window. If it is, you can sometimes retrain it by straightening it out and closing the wiindow carefully until it loses the kinks. You can adjust the seating of the window a little, especially on the front edge, by loosening the top screw and moving the top back and forth. If the latch post is loose on the glass, you need to take the roll pin out of the latch, remove the latch, and tighten the screw in the hollow post. The window will never close tight if the post is loose. Long ago on this or another forum, someone suggested that you rub silicone grease on the rubber seal where it meets the window. It seemed as if that wouldn't do much, but in fact it can stop some leaks.

Back