• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

more then a rear trim....less then a complete comp cut

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

currently running 38s and looking to get a little extra clearance out back. rubbing both front and rear of my rear well pretty good at full stuff and im looking to get rid of that. i can move my axle back about an inch with my perches, but that will definitely put the tire into the rear of the well. so im hoping to see how some of you guys have cut your rear. no..not a little cut and fold...ive already done that. and more lift is out of the question, and i like how stable it is right now.

im hoping to "widen" the rear well, and make it look semetrical. i want the arch to come back down before the rear filler door.

any pics

Yeah but to get all that you have to cut the dreaded pinch weld. I needed more room than I could get by keeping the pinch weld so I trimmed mine out quite a bit and may have to trim more after I build a bastard pack.

Parakeet

Well, it isn't a comp cut, but it is a complete wheel well replacement...

sloop22.jpg

DSCN2501.jpg

I wanted to keep the stock look for some reason, so I kept them more square and even did my best to duplicate the stock flare angles. It does get into the filler door, and where the rear door would be if I still had one, but it is way longer than necessary, and my axle is pushed back about 2.5" over stock.

I would probably raise it a bit more if I were to do it again - even my 33's rub the top on full stuff (long stock bumps spaced down 2")

Travis

Well, it isn't a comp cut, but it is a complete wheel well replacement...

sloop22.jpg

DSCN2501.jpg

I wanted to keep the stock look for some reason, so I kept them more square and even did my best to duplicate the stock flare angles. It does get into the filler door, and where the rear door would be if I still had one, but it is way longer than necessary, and my axle is pushed back about 2.5" over stock.

I would probably raise it a bit more if I were to do it again - even my 33's rub the top on full stuff (long stock bumps spaced down 2")

Travis

i love that after all the effort to incorporate the rear doors to make it a 2 door, you kept the door handles

i love that after all the effort to incorporate the rear doors to make it a 2 door, you kept the door handles

Those door skins come off, and the handles actually cover up a somewhat nasty sheetmetal transition in that area. Of course, they also stick out and have had to be replaced a few times now.

How did you build the new rear tub

I obviously went a little further than most with the teardown and rebuild, but just the tubbing wasnt super difficult - especially with the very raised rocker to tie into. I dug up a few pics from various stages:

DSCN2003.jpg

DSCN2014.jpg

DSCN2107.jpg

DSCN2133.jpg

They don't really take up a ton more inside space than the stock wells. Some better metal work and they would look okay in a full bodied rig I think.

If you search a ways back, someone did a stretch by just lengthening the stock wells (cheapxj?), and that seemed like much less hassle (and what I had originally planned)

Here is what I recently did. I'm not sure what you are refering to by comp. cut. I have 8" leafs with daystar greasable shackle in the rear and a RE 7.5" coil and puck in the front and run D60's with 42" SX's.
First cut. Needed more.
Aiken029.jpg

So

Aiken001.jpg

I cut it more. I will be cutting it more soon but right now the tires are not getting eaten so it will have to wait.

5" of lift on 37's, rear is moved back 2". for the inner, i cut out from the center of the wheel well back to the shackle box. for the new inner wells, i used 3/4" box skinned with 22ga.

Back