• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will it happen again?

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
how do YOU install the rear driveline, its pretty simple right? thats what i thought.. but maybe it was faulty parts/bad installation...

But last time i was out, i heard a loud squeeling for about 2 mins and then all of a sudden my rear U-joint (axle yoke side) snapped off one of the "straps" ... okay.. happens to everyone at some point..

so, no worrys, i figured the Joint was dried up, maybe it heated up, and the bearings in the caps failed.. something along those lines..

well, i threw in my spare shaft, and 2 miles down the road, had the same thing happen..

SO, im a little nervous that they're was a deeper problem. yesterday, i took my shafts down, and had new Spicer 1310 joints installed and they are greased.. im worried tho.. these are not the cheap joints from Vato-zone, so i cant afford to throw more Joints at it if these new ones fail..

when this happened, i had 5" lift on NO SYE or TC DROP, and all 3 mounts were completely toast...

NOW, i have a tc drop, and All new Poly mounts...

If it is to happen again, what could it be?

Its only my opinion, and its not worth too much since I'm definitely no mechanic, but it sounds like there might be some major binding from lack of an SYE with that much lift. If it keeps happening, I'd invest in an SYE. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure someone smarter than me will tell ya exactly whats going on. But that whining noise did happen to me before when I had a bad u joint. It just never snapped.

Thats a little strange you change the rear end at all? is your rear axle shimed? you had joints installed? I take it its the double carrdon (sp) did you have the carrdon (sp) bearing replaced?

I ran mine at 7.5" with no SYE or tc drop, rear axle shimed. Never tossed a shaft (my avatar is at rubicon with this setup)

I dont recomend doing this just because I may have been lucky but I'd be willing to bet theres somthing else wrong then no SYE on a 5" driving on the street.

Last edited:
when you install the joint with the little straps onto the yoke, are you supposed to also install the U-joint cap-retainer clips? thats the only thing that i think might of been done wrong on the second one?

thats what i thought, but i did notice on the metal straps, they're is indeed a groove for a metal clip?

when you install the joint with the little straps onto the yoke, are you supposed to also install the U-joint cap-retainer clips? thats the only thing that i think might of been done wrong on the second one?

You mean the clips that hold the driveshaft to the yoke? If we're talking about the same thing then yes. There should be two clips that connect the shaft to the yoke with i believe two 9mm bolts.

You mean the clips that hold the driveshaft to the yoke? If we're talking about the same thing then yes. There should be two clips that connect the shaft to the yoke with i believe 9mm bolts.
i believe what your calling clips, im calling straps.. haha..

Also, those straps are crap to start with. They tend to stretch after being installed. I wouldn't reuse them unless it was an emergency.

Also, AW4 or AX15? You can go a bit higher with the AX15 w/o tc drop or sye.

UPDATE

threw in the new one, got two miles, It spit out the new aswell.. DAMMIT.. haha

BUT i found out WHY this is happening..

On the yoke, where the Cap's seat into place, they're is a square "Nipple" on both sides of the yoke. they prevent the caps from backing out... one of the "nipples" is completely broken off.. must be from the first time, and until i get a new (JY) Yoke, it will keep happening..

Tough lesson, but atleast it did it on the test drive, and not 100miles away on a trail.

I guess the Yokes on us.

:roflmao: nice Joe

Back