• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drivers door wont shut closed...

Senior_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So im getting out and just like normal, i closed the door only for it to "spring" back out. I put that "C" shaped latch back in its open position,, AND the door does the same thing!!
It appears as tho this C shaped swiveling latch piece just wont lock shut when you close the door! I also tried hard to figure it out and ive been searchin on here for a solution, but could not find mutch!!

So i pull off the interior door pannel, and i first check the rods, there connected and can be moved by hand. I was able to lock and unlock it by pulling on the rods but cannot figure out why the metal latch wont lock closed,,, piece of crap!!

I took a look at the passenger side to see how it all works, and so it is now obvious that whatever moves and locks that C shaped metal latch in the closed position,, simply doesnt work!!!!!!!!

Its a 1995 4 dr XJ 4.0L with p.w/p.L/p.str/p.brakes. The rear doors dont lock & unlock anymore but the windows all work. Like i said before, the only thing wrong is that the dam C Latch isnt locking in place when it swivels upwards.

Anyone wanna chime in...........???

You need a new latch assembly. It's a real pain in the ass.

YES its definately a F**KIN PAIN IN THE A$$!! I figured that it was the whole dam assembly thats held on by those 3 torx screws,,, BUT i cant answer my own question! Thank You

Anyone else??

The boneyards are full of 'em. You'll have four rods to undo- the two from the interior, the lock tumbler, and outer door handle. Takes a bit of patience, and good flashlights. I'm partial to a 'headlight', the one that goes on your head. Leaves you with two free hands. I just painted my '92, and replaced the outer door handles with ZJ/later XJ items. Took patience to a whole new level- had to make new rods......

The spring that locks the cam lever in place when it closes (latches) is broken or dislodged. You have to pull the latch out to repair it and /or fit another spring to it. If money isn't an issue, you might as well replace it.

Back