• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intro and Question re: '97WJ

eversbane

NAXJA Forum User
Good morning NAXJA.

I used to own an XJ, before a college student totaled it with her F-150. I replaced it with a 4L '97 WJ. When I had an XJ I used to play here as XJ Dreamin', but I figure that account has been deactivated. No need to reactivate it as, without an XJ, the dream is pretty much past.

Anyway... Knowing that some XJ owners also own WJs, I wanted to drop in and ask a question. Back in January the WJ started to lose ignition intermittently. While driving I would get short, sub-1-second, breaks in ignition. Within about 2 or 3 days that changed into just no ignition at all. I had it towed to a local garage, but, of couse, by the time they got around to looking at it it ran just fine. They didn't charge me anything and I put it back in service. A few days later - tow it back to the shop (that premium AAA membership really pays off when you're messing with Jeeps). Again, It was working fine when they looked at it but it did have a code for "Coil off-line" or some such. They looked at the coil and found the housing was cracked. Replace the coil (don't ask). Back on the road for a week or two and it starts skipping again. Back to the shop. They found that they could kill and restore the ignition by wiggling one of the plugs to the engine control computer. They said there was a bulletin that a solder join in the computer would break and it wasn't serviceable (again, don't ask).

Six months later, I go to start the WJ and it cranks, but no ignition. I remember about the plug so get under the hood and look. There are three plugs and the inboard plug is missing the clip that holds the plug in the socket. Wiggle the plug - turn the key - works great. Next morning, no ignition. Wiggle the plug - off you go. Third day (Friday) wiggle the plug - no go - #$%@!!. Get the 9yo to turn the key while I wiggle the plug - fires up and works great.

Monday morning: No ignition. Wiggle the plug - turn the key - it fires up and dies. Wiggle the plug - turn the key - it fires up and dies. Ggrrhh!! OK. It appears that, without the clip to hold the plug in, the weight of the cable is dragging the plug out of the socket. So... zip tie! Yes, I zip tied the wire bundle up so that it does not drag down on the plug. Works great!!

So, the question (questions, really). Back to the shop? What are the chances the shop screwed me on the coil and computer - when it was just the plug? What are the chances that they were right about the computer and I need another computer? If it is just the plug, how do you feel about JB Weld?

Thanks everybody. Long first post, I know, but then... it's not really my first post.

eversbane
(fka XJ Dreamin')

You will be wasting your time, probably, with the shop, but you could talk to them (nicely) about it, might get a free oil change.

Skip the JB Weld, you fixed it with the zip ties. Of course, Duct tape would have been more manly.

:laugh3: Thanks. Clean out of duct tape, but good supply of zip ties.

So, never heard of this business about a bad solder joint in the computer, eh?

I'm still partial to JB Weld, though. Wonderful stuff.

:laugh3: Thanks. Clean out of duct tape, but good supply of zip ties.

So, never heard of this business about a bad solder joint in the computer, eh?

I'm still partial to JB Weld, though. Wonderful stuff.

Actually, there have been a number of reports of bad solder joints, but haven't seen anything like a pattern of it. Remember, with the XJ the oldest are 25 years and the youngest 8 years, lots and lots of miles and off road abuse and vibration. I think one guy in Eastern Europe (Romania?) actually opened his up and repaired it.

Has nobody else noticed he said 97 WJ? :doh: OP do you mean ZJ? I totally would have used duct tape on it myself. I have heard about bad solder joints too.

ZJ, yes. What can I say? If it's not an XJ, who cares what it's called. When the XJ got totaled I found it difficult to find a good XJ on short notice. I found this ZJ, with the 4L and better interior room for the kids, but thats' been a couple of years now.

I paid for a new computer in January, but the only thing I know for sure is that I can kill the ignition and restore it by wiggling the plug: more specifically, wiggling the plug until it starts to unseat. One thing significant is that the plug has a broken clip, and the weight of the wire bundle seems to be enough to unseat the plug.

A rather troubling question is: Did the shop give the rig back to me with a broken clip? I can only assume they did, although I can't prove it, and I don't know if the clip was broken before January. What I know right now is, if I keep the plug in, the engine has ignition. It's been working fine with the zip ties since Monday morning, so we'll just see how long that works.

ZJ, yes. What can I say? If it's not an XJ, who cares what it's called. When the XJ got totaled I found it difficult to find a good XJ on short notice. I found this ZJ, with the 4L and better interior room for the kids, but thats' been a couple of years now.

I paid for a new computer in January, but the only thing I know for sure is that I can kill the ignition and restore it by wiggling the plug: more specifically, wiggling the plug until it starts to unseat. One thing significant is that the plug has a broken clip, and the weight of the wire bundle seems to be enough to unseat the plug.

A rather troubling question is: Did the shop give the rig back to me with a broken clip? I can only assume they did, although I can't prove it, and I don't know if the clip was broken before January. What I know right now is, if I keep the plug in, the engine has ignition. It's been working fine with the zip ties since Monday morning, so we'll just see how long that works.

Well you have a couple other options to fix the plug but both are gonna SUCK. One, you can go the the dealership or JY and get the harness or two you can cut and splice a new plug onto it. I'd just hold it together with zipties if its working fine.

Well you have a couple other options to fix the plug but both are gonna SUCK. One, you can go the the dealership or JY and get the harness or two you can cut and splice a new plug onto it. I'd just hold it together with zipties if its working fine.
It started this morning and then cut out back out the driveway. Giggled the plug, fired it up, and no trouble.

I have actually thought about splicing in a new plug, and I might do that. Problem is, the broken clip is on the computer side, so even a new plug would still have to be held in place. I am considering this because I am beginning to suspect that part of the issue is corrosion in the plug: it corrodes overnight - wiggling makes new connection - it corrodes overnight - etc. JB Weld is still very tempting, except for the threat of the corrosion issue. I'd hate to epoxy the plug to where I can't wiggle it and have the critical pin/socket pair corrode on me. So, splice in a new plug, and then JB Weld that :D

I hate electical on a rig. As an old time Mississippi River Rat I hold to the adage: The more wires you put in a boat, the more time you spend in dock. Wires suck.

It started this morning and then cut out back out the driveway. Giggled the plug, fired it up, and no trouble.

I have actually thought about splicing in a new plug, and I might do that. Problem is, the broken clip is on the computer side, so even a new plug would still have to be held in place. I am considering this because I am beginning to suspect that part of the issue is corrosion in the plug: it corrodes overnight - wiggling makes new connection - it corrodes overnight - etc. JB Weld is still very tempting, except for the threat of the corrosion issue. I'd hate to epoxy the plug to where I can't wiggle it and have the critical pin/socket pair corrode on me. So, splice in a new plug, and then JB Weld that :D

I hate electical on a rig. As an old time Mississippi River Rat I hold to the adage: The more wires you put in a boat, the more time you spend in dock. Wires suck.

If it is corroding overnight you need to clean those connections and get something on the contacts to prevent the corrosion.

Also, see if you can pull on the harness so that you have more slack, and then anchor the harness so that it can't pull on the connector. And use bigger zip ties.

If it is corroding overnight you need to clean those connections and get something on the contacts to prevent the corrosion.

Also, see if you can pull on the harness so that you have more slack, and then anchor the harness so that it can't pull on the connector. And use bigger zip ties.
Did I type 'giggled' instead of 'jiggled'? :wow:

Bigger zip ties! Aye, aye!! :pirate1:

Did I type 'giggled' instead of 'jiggled'? :wow:

Bigger zip ties! Aye, aye!! :pirate1:

Get some dieletric grease to put on it that should stop the corrosion.

Back