• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making tube fenders

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
I don't believe I can post in Advanced Fabrication and I don't really think there is much "advanced fabrication" to making these tube flares. Pretty much I want more tire coverage but don't want to pay like $375 for Bushwackers (much less I don't think Bushwacker even makes '97-01 flares for my Jeep).

• I bought a sheet of 12 gauge steel and some 3/4" x .083 wall round tube. I'm wondering if that should be strong enough for my application? I don't rub on rocks and pretty much if I could, I'd like to make the flares stronger than the fenders (meaning if I rubbed on anything the fenders would crumple before the flares do), and figured 12 gauge for the mounting brackets and 3/4" x .083 tubing should be good enough. I was thinking of making the skins out of 14 gauge but maybe 16 gauge instead.

• Also, as far as the flares themselves go, I'm debating if I should just make them mount to the stock flare location so no cutting or drilling, or if I should make them higher for more tire clearance (although I don't really need that much tire clearance as it is).

• The last issue I have is, if I make these bigger than the stock locations, how would I go about mounting the rear flares on? It seems as though my wheelwells pretty much start right above the stock flare location, and I haven't checked that hard but the space between the rear door and wheelwell doesn't look like I'd be able to put a bolt in there. Pretty much I'd like to do a less hardcore version of this build:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=922035
Only picture the quarter and fender guards not really there.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I would either tie the fenders into the a front bumper-rails-rear bumper or cut a whole in the front outer fender and have the flare tube meet the inner front fender, and weld the rear tube to the body or rocker (depending on how high you want it) and weld it to the body on the back. For extra clearance I would also cut out the pinch seems and put some of the plating in to raise the wheel well and give the flare more support.

Hm, I'm starting to second guess this whole idea. The point was to replace the stock flares with wider ones, only I don't want to pay a ton of money to do that and I still want it to look decent.
The problem I'm having now is that most tube flares I've seen are built like you said and either go into a front bumper or into a bunch of like 3/16" fender and quarter armor, probably to keep it rigid and sturdy. The plan I have probably won't work like I think.

For some reason the link keeps taking me to the wrong place.
If you search tube fenders under advanced search then check titles only. Look for Cruisin Illusions thread. Hope this helps.

Haha it's ok. I'm being really picky about this. Pretty much I've spent a lot of time and work getting my Jeep to look really good and I think because of that I'm too afraid to cut what doesn't need cutting. I don't need tire clearance, I just need tire coverage but don't want to pay 455 bucks from 4WD for Bushwackers.
I think I've found a simpler solution. While looking on 4WD I found these:
images.ashx

I think I'll make a similar flare out of the metal I have, and either drill 4 holes in the fenders and quarters, or mount them using 4 bolts each to the stock location.

Haha it's ok. I'm being really picky about this. Pretty much I've spent a lot of time and work getting my Jeep to look really good and I think because of that I'm too afraid to cut what doesn't need cutting. I don't need tire clearance, I just need tire coverage but don't want to pay 455 bucks from 4WD for Bushwackers.
I think I've found a simpler solution. While looking on 4WD I found these:
images.ashx

I think I'll make a similar flare out of the metal I have, and either drill 4 holes in the fenders and quarters, or mount them using 4 bolts each to the stock location.

Why are you scared to cut a fender that is easily replaceable? If you want those flares to look right you need to take the time to actually make them functional by either tying them in in with a front bumper and rock rails or Make some sort of structure inside the fender they can bolt too. IMO if you just bolt them to the fender they are gonna be asthetic only and as soon as they see a tree or whatever bye bye fender and you have to do it again. I like the Idea though. Metal flares FTW!

400 bucks for the front pair!

I could plate the back of the fender as well. My problem is that I don't know what to do about the quarter panel because I don't know how to bolt the flares on above the stock holes, the wheel well is in the way. Unless of course I took out all the interior in the back to get to the quarter panels, which would be a major PITA considering these are just fender flares. I don't need my fenders or quarters bulletproofed although it is tempting, but for a DD that seems to be overkill.
I don't know how the Wrangler's flares bolt on but considering those 400 dollar flares bolt with only 4 mounts I figured mine should do about the same.

Last edited:
but for a DD that seems to be overkill.

My Jeep is My DD and overkill is what gets you home(well right now its more easy trail driving) when you drive it to and from the trail. If you know someone who is a good fabricator talk to them and see what they would do. If you are gonna make them yourself you can always figure out the mounts as you are building them! :cheers:

Right now my Jeep is just a little better than stock but not built. When its all said and done I want it to be reliable and I want it to be able to make it through a trail with as little damage as possible since it is my only vehicle. Come Friday it will be paid off so the fun will begin!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the best way would be to incorporate quarter guards and fender guards, tie in the tube fenders to the rear bumper and then to rockrails, then from the rockrails to the front bumper. However I don't have off-road bumpers or rockrails, my Jeep's body is completely stock. The amount of fabrication to do that and the amount of money to do that would be really expensive. Maybe later on I'll do that, but for right now I just need it to be street legal.

I'm pretty sure the best way would be to incorporate quarter guards and fender guards, tie in the tube fenders to the rear bumper and then to rockrails, then from the rockrails to the front bumper. However I don't have off-road bumpers or rockrails, my Jeep's body is completely stock. The amount of fabrication to do that and the amount of money to do that would be really expensive. Maybe later on I'll do that, but for right now I just need it to be street legal.

Do you need more tire coverage or what? You could always run 4 rear TJ flares and just modify the ones up front to fit. They are quite a bit wider than stock XJ flares too.

Yeah I need more tire coverage. I looked into TJ flares, they look decent but I haven't found any for cheap and from the few build-ups I saw people hacked quite a bit out to fit them on.

has anybody done the "front bumper -> fender -> rails -> fender -> rear bumper" style of rock slider? That sounds like it would be pretty sweet, but I'm not sure how it'd look. For example, how would you skin the fender section and not leave a nasty gap where the fender ends and the rails begin?

You could probably cut the skin so that it will just cover over the gap. If you look at the rock sliders that CruisinIllusion has in his thread, they extend all the way through the lower part of the fender. If those rock sliders didn't have tube on them you could just weld the lower part of the tube fender to that. Or you could cut a couple inches off the end of the tube on the rock slider itself, weld the end of the tube bumper right there, and notch and weld a section of tube to connect the slider tubing and the flare tubing. Then run the skin right down to that point.

Last edited:
Back