• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I left her at the athletic club

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
I had to leave her at the athletic club tonight. I tried cleaning the cables, jumping, and even the starter bypass. She wants to turn over but won't. Any suggestions? I've seriously had enough of this. Gas smell comes from tailpipe, reverse lights work, won't start in neutral either. This happens way too often. I'm thinking about selling her. I really don't want to. If i do I'll cry but this is just way too frustrating.

you can make it to "try" to start with ignition key?

also soundlike either your battery or cable is bad

Sounds like your battery is positively, absolutely, DEAD. Not weak, low, sick, just completely dead. Won't hold a charge at all. Mine did the same thing, and wouldn't take a jump. Whether it was froma car, or a jumper box, didn't matter.

Sounds like your battery is positively, absolutely, DEAD. Not weak, low, sick, just completely dead. Won't hold a charge at all. Mine did the same thing, and wouldn't take a jump. Whether it was froma car, or a jumper box, didn't matter.

Brand new battery and alternator. It just won't turn over. When i've got the key turned to the acc it reads 12-14 volts. Battery is NOT dead. Radio, lights, everything electrical works. She just doesn't want to ignite.

Also, before this happened, i would get a real shaky idle when I first started her up.

I had to leave her at the athletic club tonight. I tried cleaning the cables, jumping, and even the starter bypass. She wants to turn over but won't. Any suggestions? I've seriously had enough of this. Gas smell comes from tailpipe, reverse lights work, won't start in neutral either. This happens way too often. I'm thinking about selling her. I really don't want to. If i do I'll cry but this is just way too frustrating.
Please explain what the term "turning over " means to you. Cleaning cables, jumping, bypassing the starter relay, would be things to try if the starter wasn't "turning over" or "cranking". A gas smell should only occur if the engine was "turning over"...

ok. turns over but no ignition.

Bad coil? Engine turns, injectors dump, fuel gets pumped into exhaust? Does moisture play a role? Could be a wet distributor cap if you've been romping through some extremely large puddles...

ok. turns over but no ignition.
Easier to see what's going on now...LOL,with the fuel smell from the exhaust,try holding the throttle wide open to clear a flooded condition.if this doesn't seem to help, next step would be to determine if it is a fuel or a spark issue. Check to see if you have spark at the plugs, and pressure at the fuel rail...

Haven't been through anything deep since i replaced the alternator one year ago.

2001 I6
4.0L
AW4/231

Easier to see what's going on now...LOL,with the fuel smell from the exhaust,try holding the throttle wide open to clear a flooded condition.if this doesn't seem to help, next step would be to determine if it is a fuel or a spark issue. Check to see if you have spark at the plugs, and pressure at the fuel rail...

Stupid question here... how do i test the spark and tes the pressure?

my guess is you have ignition problem now then

get a spare sparkplug or even better, a spark tester and crank and see how big the spark it have, or not at all.

i just had to help my friend to replace his coil as it died and didint make enough spark, even still have enough to make the spark but very weak

you dont need to check for fuel rail pressure as its getting fuel so fuel system is fine..

you can get sparkplug on one of the wires and put the threaded part of the sparkplug on a good ground metal (baremetal will work the best) and have someone to crank the enigne as you watch for any arc. while you do that, try be careful not get shocked lol there should be about 30k or so of volts, not fun

i think i'll just buy a spark plug tester

you dont need to check for fuel rail pressure as its getting fuel so fuel system is fine..Sorry to over simplify, but these are two very basic checks that are the first step in diagnoising a no start condition. if you feel pretty confident that your fuel pressure is correct, check for spark at your plugs, and go from there. If you have no spark to the plugs, my guess would be the crank positioning sensor...

excuse my ignorance if it has already been said but..

sounds like a faulty Crank position sensor to me!

Yep sounds like a CPS problem to me, I have had to replace it in every single jeep ive owned! Good luck

Back