• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding diff techniques

So my buddy cant afford a locker right now for his CJ. We were thinking of just welding the diff. Iv done some research and it seems fine for now untill he gets a real locker. Iv seen some pictures of welded diffs but cant find any. So what method is preferd for doing this? I know that the spiders need to be welded, but where? Will the weld throw off the balence of the carrier? Any info would be great. Thanks guys!

here you go
2059412130104836601S425x425Q85.jpg
lol there are several different places you can weld. on mine i just welded the spider gears to the side gears on both sides. just make sure you clean it all good so you can get a good weld on it.

I have always seen "Spider" gears welded, and unless I am not thinking at all, welding the pinion to the ring gear would not even work so I am taking that picture as a joke.

It is pretty decent, I have wheeled a Cherokee with a welded rear 8.25 and it was very strong, we ran it that way until sold probably a season or so. Never had any issues.

You will want to use a MIG welder, TIG or perhaps even gas, just as long as it's not stick. You don't want any slag in your diff fluid.

Last edited:

Now that just looks like ridiculous overkill.

I can see welding the spiders to the sides, and maybe an extra tooth gap filled to each side, but fully filling the gear tooth gaps should not be necessary, and definitely not welding the side gears or spider gears to the carrier. Or welding in the crosspin. I can't tell if the shafts are welded into the side gears - I hope not, that would be stupid. How would you change one in a pinch?

A lot of extra work for no real gain. Just weld the sides to the spiders, fill an extra gap (on all four gears) to each side of where you've welded them together (in case the gear-gear welds don't hold,) and that should do until you can get a locker. That will also allow you to sell the carrier to recoup a few bucks after your install...

No sense in doing extra work that you don't have to anyhow, right?

Back