• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

B & M trick shift ATF

xj9140

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my transfer case lube. I changed from super tech ATF to trick shift ATF. I use a np231j transfer case. In 1200 mi, a 1/2 quart leaked from my speed sensor o ring. I have never had any problems with it leaking before.
Does anybody else have exp w B & M trick shift ATF?

Replace that o-ring.

I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF w/o problems.

I use 30wt in the T-case.

I don't see any reason at all to run trick shift in the t-case.

I agree that there is no reason to run Trick Shift ATF in the Xfer case, or your Automatic transmission for that matter. One should also not run 30weight oil in the transfercase. You should be running Dextron; anything else in there is a waste of money.

The whole idea behind B&M Trick Shift is that you do the B&M shift kit mod, which adds accumulator pressure and delays the upshift, and the B&M fluid adds some extra grab to the clutches and bands. Back in the day we would use Type F instead of the B&M product with the same results.

-Ron

Can anyone provide any experience on using other than the recommended fluids in the xfer case? I was thinking about using a more viscous fluid (like 30 wt oil) because it leaks the dextron no matter what I do. I have replaced the seals several times. It started when I put Z-Max in about two years ago. Everything I put the Z-Max in started leaking within a few weeks and I had to replace almost every seal in the engine and xfer case. I sure am glad I didn't put that stuff in the tranny.

I know I had to pull my t-case because it was leaking too much, but currently it doesn't leak hardly any. I haven't had to add any in the past 8-10 months.

Full synthetic oils reduce friction but they penetrate by design so on older, high mileage vehicles, they will penetrate right through the gaskets. I just use regular dextron and change it yearly.

I tried the B&M trickshift in my 99 aw4 and it didn't like it! Changed back to Dexron and all is good again.

Back