• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

40 Series 2.50" flowmaster on jeep cherokee

Captainhswh

NAXJA Forum User
i have a flowmaster 40 series that i got for my 87 jeep cherokee its got the 4.0 still i was wondering if it would work. its not the delta series or what ever.
i was told by a buddy of mine who has no mechanical experience other the the walmart lube and he says you cont put em on an xj

The only issue you're going to run into is that stock pipe is 2.25" in diameter, and your muffler is 2.5" in diameter. They make exhaust pipe that can easily be found at Napa or your favorite parts store that can adapt it to work. In other words, the pipe will be 2.25" on one end and 2.5" on the other.

i put a 2.5" 40-series on my 89 cherokee. what you have to do is cut the back of the cat back until you have a 2.5" opening. put a 2.25" tailpipe on and watch for the burn stripe!

zedpapa

i have a flowmaster 40 series that i got for my 87 jeep cherokee its got the 4.0 still i was wondering if it would work. its not the delta series or what ever.
i was told by a buddy of mine who has no mechanical experience other the the walmart lube and he says you cont put em on an xj

Your Buddy is an idiot. It will fit but your pipe is 2.25" so you'd need either 2.5 piping or some adapters to put it on. It will be LOUD if thats what you are looking for.

it won't be loud if he puts the 2.25" tailpipe on it. i have this setup and it sounds great and only gets loud when i stand on it. if he wants it really quiet, put a 50 series on it.

zedpapa

Im running full 2.5 inch header back with a Super 40 flowmaster,it isnt fullsize without exhaust stupid loud but its loud enough to hear it and has an awesome small V8 tone to it through the full RPM range. Ive had probably 15 people that has thought it had a V8 in it until I corrected them. And 7 of them thought it was a Turbocharged V8 because of my intake whistle.

it won't be loud if he puts the 2.25" tailpipe on it. i have this setup and it sounds great and only gets loud when i stand on it. if he wants it really quiet, put a 50 series on it.

zedpapa

That what i would do but my buddy has a 40 series with 2.25 piping and its still really loud compared to my Dynomax muffler.

Im running full 2.5 inch header back with a Super 40 flowmaster,it isnt fullsize without exhaust stupid loud but its loud enough to hear it and has an awesome small V8 tone to it through the full RPM range. Ive had probably 15 people that has thought it had a V8 in it until I corrected them. And 7 of them thought it was a Turbocharged V8 because of my intake whistle.

What do you have to do to make the intake whistle? I want mine to sound like a turbo too. How old were the girls that thought you had a V8?

What do you have to do to make the intake whistle? I want mine to sound like a turbo too. How old were the girls that thought you had a V8?

Considering where He is living. I am sad to say they probably weren't 16 year old girls! :roflmao:

I'm now running a 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflow welded muffler. Previously I had a 2.5" Thrush turbo. I just use adapters before and after the muffler, to retain the 2.25" tailpipe and downpipe. It certainly works. Make due with what is available.
My homemade intake also whistles at certain engine speeds, as well as a little thump when I hit the gas from idle, I do refer to the whistle as my turbo :)

Mine is just a 60* into the factory "airbox to TB flex tube" with a AEM dryflow filter. Mine being a 5speed, I can make people stop and stare whenever I want. The whistle is very loud haha and no haha they def werent 16 years old and only 1 of them was actually a girl although I do speak of the others and wanna be guys with pussys between their legs because they dont have a clue what they are talking about

When I Dropped the tranny out of it to put the new flex plate in i had to cut the exhaust out right befor the flange on the down pipe and i put the flow master right there temperarily so i could get it home and weld it up after mapping it out and what not and she sounds like a XXXXin beast!

Back