• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which Lift kit ?

kamakazi bush bum

NAXJA Forum User
so iv finally made it to the point where i can start thinkin about lift kits. the only problem is i cant decide which one. these are my options, TnT Customs 5.5, RE 5.5 extrem duty longarm, or BDS 4.5 longarm. BDS says on the web site that all their lifts that r 4.5 longarm and up r only for automatics WTF! is this true or a miss print ?

any help in this decision would be great, pros and cons from ppl already running these lifts would be awesome as well. also i live on Vancouver Island B.C. so shipping is expensive. i can get RE and BDS here on the island but not TnT customs

Thanks

oh ya i wheel the piss out of the old girl but its also a DD and after its lifted id really like to do a bunch of trips to the states for some wheelin and camping so it needs to be able to drive there and back in one piece

I have an RE lift kit that is now at 4.5" and it is nice but isn't long arm. I was going to go long arm but after a meet and greet most if not all the people on here who I met said don't go with long arms, go with drop brackets, because unless you have limiting straps, the long arms will unload on you when rock crawling and it's a lot more money anyway.
However the wheeling down here in southern Cali is a lot different probably than the wheeling you do.
BDS has a lifetime no questions asked warranty on their parts though, meaning if you break something or even wear it out they'll replace it free from what I hear. I've heard a story about a guy who had a lift on a pickup truck and used it as a plow truck, the plow sagged the front springs down pretty good so he exchanged them for new ones for free.
As far as the auto only goes, it might have to do with the fact that if they mess around with the stock crossmember it could be different maybe? I'm not sure if the auto and manual trans crossmembers are in different places or different crossmembers altogether, I'm assuming so.

I would go with the BDS kit as it is a 4-link long arm compared to the radius set up that is more likely to bind. All our quality products and you will be happy with any of them

I install lift kits in all kind of trucks for a living, and we're a BDS dealer. I've done a few XJ long arm lifts, and the question of the 4.0/auto applies to the trans crossmember location as it uses those to base the center crossmember off of. As far as I know, the threaded inserts used are in the same location in all XJ's and the diff would be in the crossmember. There are 3 per side.

I did one long arm upgrade with BDS removing the very nasty riding and ill handling short arm setup and putting in the long arm kit. Talk about a difference.

Look at their instructions online and decide if it's going to work with your application. They do give a base measurement to work off of.

I run TnT's stuff. My buddy, coloradoraptor here on naxja, runs the BDS system. I like the true 4 link on his but I like the clearance on the arms of the Y-link better. I go where he goes and he goes most of where I go. :D

They are both good, the Y-Link doesn't bind up so dont listen to that crap. I have ran this setup for about 4 years now on two different xjs and I couldn't be happier. I like the belly pan of TnT's Y-Link better also.

I run TnT's stuff. My buddy, coloradoraptor here on naxja, runs the BDS system. I like the true 4 link on his but I like the clearance on the arms of the Y-link better. I go where he goes and he goes most of where I go. :D

They are both good, the Y-Link doesn't bind up so dont listen to that crap. I have ran this setup for about 3 years now on two different xjs and I couldn't be happier. I like the belly pan of TnT's Y-Link better also.

so iv finally made it to the point where i can start thinkin about lift kits. the only problem is i cant decide which one. these are my options, TnT Customs 5.5, RE 5.5 extrem duty longarm, or BDS 4.5 longarm. BDS says on the web site that all their lifts that r 4.5 longarm and up r only for automatics WTF! is this true or a miss print ?

any help in this decision would be great, pros and cons from ppl already running these lifts would be awesome as well. also i live on Vancouver Island B.C. so shipping is expensive. i can get RE and BDS here on the island but not TnT customs

Thanks

oh ya i wheel the piss out of the old girl but its also a DD and after its lifted id really like to do a bunch of trips to the states for some wheelin and camping so it needs to be able to drive there and back in one piece
Call BDS and ask, good people and great tech service.als you may want to look at ironrock offroad's L/A.

Back