• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wipers neep more help

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
i traced every wire to end up finding out so i think that the motor was bad
i looked every where and got a motor for 90
had to need wipers
i installed, and cleaned everything also
turned on the car turned on the wipers and it almost look like they werent moving but soon as u turn them on the went the opposite way down but of course it wont keep moving just a jerk down and thats it
playing with the switch is when i realized that the damn thing was moving just seemed liked it wanted to move down instead of across the windshield.

whats going on any insight would be great

You think the motor is bad. I think that is unlikely because you just changed your steering column and the motor didn't work after that. Please correct me if any of this is wrong. OK, at this point, you want to check your wiper motors. You now have two, correct? So, the easiest thing is to wire them directly to your battery with pieces of wire. You need to look at your wiring diagram and see which wire supplies juice to the motor and which one is the ground (usually black). Hook the ground up to the negative post of your battery and the wire for the juice into the motor up to the positive post. One wire should make the motor park and one should make it run (and one is ground). Once you have tested the motors and found out that one or both are good (hopefully), then you can trace through the steering column switch.

Let us know if the motors test out.

Last edited:
You think the motor is bad. I think that is unlikely because you just changed your steering column and the motor didn't work after that. Please correct me if any of this is wrong. OK, at this point, you want to check your wiper motors. You now have two, correct? So, the easiest thing is to wire them directly to your battery with pieces of wire. You need to look at your wiring diagram and see which wire supplies juice to the motor and which one is the ground (usually black). Hook the ground up to the negative post of your battery and the wire for the juice into the motor up to the positive post. One wire should make the motor park and one should make it run (and one is ground). Once you have tested the motors and found out that one or both are good (hopefully), then you can trace through the steering column switch.

Let us know if the motors test out.

wait the wipers stop working after i got a spark at the ignition
(i had to start my car for a week with a screw driver cause someone stoll my rig and messed up the column, well one day i put the driver in the wrong spot a spark and the wipers havent work since)
I am so confused right now?..............
is there one or two wiper motors were talking windshield wiper motor right?
heres the steps on what i did
1st i check out the accuracy of the meter i put it to the battery post and it read 12. something, steady.
2nd I check the circuit breaker pulled it out set the meter to ohms and It would go down to 00.7 steady
3rd i checked the breaker socket where the breaker goes and on the hole on the right hand side with a power tester (pointy screwdriver looking thing) the light came on so i tested the voltage there and i got a solid reading of 12. something and it was steady
4th i check the connector going to the windshield wiper motor i clip the black probe onto the ground of the connector then put the red probe onto the hole of the connector that is suppose to control low speed and i got voltage there
then with the black still on ground i checked the blue wire and i got voltage there
so the motor was getting voltage and it wasnt working right?

anyway i brought a motor and boy do i got a story to tell
i think i messed up the motor trying to get it into the bracket that turns the wiper assembly
also trying to get the thing in the damn car i had to force the motor to turn?
i think i verified this by
taking everything apart, the motor off the bracket and everything, and then with it apart i attached the wipers and connected the motor to the connector and when i put the key in the ignition the wipers turn a little then i took it off low and put it on high and nothing
back to low, then delay, nothing
i then check everything all over again
everything checked out! voltage and ohms wise! i think i blew the motor trying to fix the wipers from going backwards lol cause thats what happen when i first put the new motor in it tried to go the wrong way i think!
what do u think?

Last edited:
I don't get it either. Your XJ had a wiper motor before you changed the steering column right? And you got another one from a 90 right? So now you have two wiper motors, right? When you were starting with the screwdriver, was that in the steering column or down under on the starter motor or where?

I'm suggesting that you hook up the motor directly to the battery to test it out. If you only have the "park" wire and ground hooked up, it will only move a little, like to make the wipers return to park position. At this point, you think you messed up the new motor too, so you need to test them both directly, indepenently of the vehicle wiring.

im sorry i can see your confused
here when my car was stolen i had to start it with a screw driver (the OEM steering column) at the column right where the turn signal/wiper/cruise control is they broke the cover couldnt use a key 2 start it had to do what they did
i wasnt to good at it and i touch something i wasnt suppose to and i got a big spark
i then noticed that my wipers stop working before they were
i traced everything to a bad motor, i brought a new wiper motor for 90 dollars same as the oringinal
but to get the damn thing in the wiper assembly i banged on the thing that goes on the motor then the nut goes on (i wasnt suppose to bang tightening the nut would have been enough) then 3 bolts and it on the bracket
i also force the new motor to turn the assembly so i cold get it in the compartment for the wiper asembly

to comment on what u said the ground,park and power for the motor is a couple of wires into a connector the motor has to be a direct fit.
the connector for the motor is round
i think i blew the motor also so im going to exchange it tomorrow
any advice
do u think something is wrong with me wiring or something

I GUESS that it is the wiring. That's what you need to test. If you can exchange the motor, I guess you may as well. Then plug it in and test it before you mess with trying to install it. I doubt that sparking in the column could burn out your motor. I would test the old motor with direct wiring if you can get your money back on the new one if the old one works.

old one was the core
the only problem i spotted was a problem in the washer pump wiring of coursei have to test the pump to confirm i fixed the wiring

Don't get off track here. Did you test your motor yet? You have a '90 right? I'm not sure in the '90, but in my 2000, it's all built in to the steering column stalk with the switch. You need to test your motor so that later on after you mess with it again, you will know whether it is still good or not.

sorry, dont mean to just tryin to fix this thing already
the original motor was the core for the replacement
i think i toasted the replacement i would love to verify this but how
how do i test the motor i brought with 2 wires from the battery and then, where do i connect it to on the motor?
and i have a 88 xj i turn on my wipers low and high and delay from the turn signal switch/cruise control
i still have my old column if that will help any

Do you have the wiring diagram from your '88? In the wiper section, you will see how one wire is ground. Rig up a jumper with a piece of wire and an alligator clip or something to hold the wire in place. Then in the diagram, you will see one wire that runs directly from the fuse to the motor. You connect that one the same way, only to the positive battery post. Then you can see how the other wires go to the switch. Jumper them on at a time, with the other two wires still hooked up. It should make the motor run. One of them should make the motor run backwards and "park". Sorry, I don't want to load the wiring diagram for your year. I'll try to help you figure it out if you have questions.

Do you have the wiring diagram from your '88? In the wiper section, you will see how one wire is ground. Rig up a jumper with a piece of wire and an alligator clip or something to hold the wire in place. Then in the diagram, you will see one wire that runs directly from the fuse to the motor. You connect that one the same way, only to the positive battery post. Then you can see how the other wires go to the switch. Jumper them on at a time, with the other two wires still hooked up. It should make the motor run. One of them should make the motor run backwards and "park". Sorry, I don't want to load the wiring diagram for your year. I'll try to help you figure it out if you have questions.

i have the diagram printed and i see three grounds that have to do with the wipers one from the intermitent wiper module, one for the washer motor and one for the wiper motor
im guessing your talking the ground from the motor,
and for the positive, the diagram has no fuse but a circuit breaker and it goes from the breaker to the run on the motor
im noticing that everything is being powered by the switch whether intermittent or standard
if this is the case the switch could be bad? could a switch go bad or get changed? since its on the column
could i test it, it clicks like its suppose to
anyway im going to test this motor i brought and hopefully it did burn out
so that can be my problem cause this is a hard job man
u wasnt telling stories thats for sure i thought this would be a quick job

also i dont get the part about jumping the other wires to the switch while the positive and negative are still being jumped themselves
and im only jumping the connector to the motor right?
and a black wire/w alligator clip from negative battery post to negative on the connector right?

You are only going from the motor to the battery, nothing to do with a switch. Did you find the wiring in your wiring diagram? Hold on, I just saw your previous post, let me study it a little more.

OK, so we want to duplicate what the motor sees in run position. So you have one ground, which is the wire going to the G106 or G??? at the page bottom. This goes to battery negative. Then you have one wire that is always powered through the circuit breaker and one that is powered by high or run in the wiper switch. Connect both of those to the battery positive to make the motor run.

Back