• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My idea for a rear bumper mount....opinions?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been pondering how I want to mount my rear bumper for a long time. I'm new to fab work, just started welding two weeks ago, but am determined to make a good bumper the first time around.

63434157.gif

This is a picture of my unfinished project, but basically I'm going to run side supports into the unibody for the pieces that go under the folded quarter panels. I also plan to use the stock bumper mounts and the hitch mounts.

He's what I'm thinking of doing, I was thinking of using a 2x3 3/16 welded to my bumper (which is a 2x4 in 3/16th) and having that go about 6 inches to a flat plate of 6x4 in 3/16 for the stock mounts. Then I was thinking I'd use a long piece of angle iron, drill and weld bolts for the hitch mounts and run that all the way through the stock location, and through the bumper, and just cut it so only the side piece for the D-ring goes through the bumper and drill that for a d-ring. Then take pieces of 1/4th steel and weld that to both sides of the angle iron so a d-ring fits snug.

Am I crazy to want to use angle iron and cut a hole through everything? To me it seems it would be stronger to use the whole mounting piece as the d-ring tab then to weld on 3/4 thick CNC d-ring tab material (like AJ's DIY).

Here's a picture I drew up quickly to those who need images.
17769587.png

So will this be an acceptable design? Or would I be better off just using a 2x3 going through the unibody and bumper and just welding a DIY AJ's d-ring tab to it? Since it's so thick though I'd have to have someone else do it, as I only have a 90amp flux core.

~Scott

I already said I was going to...

This is a picture of my unfinished project, but basically I'm going to run side supports into the unibody for the pieces that go under the folded quarter panels. I also plan to use the stock bumper mounts and the hitch mounts.

~Scott

No worries.
What I really want to know is if people think angle iron will be ok to use, or just a PITA, and if a 2x3 would be easier?

~Scott

Seems good to me, Scott. Once I get a rear bumper going I will be doing the stock bolts, tubing going in side the unibody, and self tappers holding on the side supports while going through the unibody and tubing. The tubing I use inside the unibody will most likely be thinner than 3/16" like everything else will be.

But, I'm not set on a design yet either...so meh. :D

-Lyle

Seems good to me, Scott. Once I get a rear bumper going I will be doing the stock bolts, tubing going in side the unibody, and self tappers holding on the side supports while going through the unibody and tubing. The tubing I use inside the unibody will most likely be thinner than 3/16" like everything else will be.

But, I'm not set on a design yet either...so meh. :D

-Lyle

Yeah that's what I wanted to do too...but then I looked in the frame rails, and realized I'd have to find a way to tack weld the bolts inside the tubes...that's why I'm trying to find an alternative.

~Scott

I looked in the frame rails, and realized I'd have to find a way to tack weld the bolts inside the tubes...that's why I'm trying to find an alternative.

~Scott

Use the factory nutstrips, drill matching bolt holes, and tack weld them to whatever you put inside the frame rails. Use rectangular tube and open up the frame rail holes in the rear cross member.

See links
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93051

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=899237

Well the other trick is trying to make the d-rings being part of the same material that attaches to the nutstrips...

~Scott

...the other trick is trying to make the d-rings being part of the same material that attaches to the nutstrips...

~Scott

Link #1 covers that. Plate the D-ring mount to the thickness you need.

BracketsWelded.jpg

Link #1 covers that. Plate the D-ring mount to the thickness you need.

BracketsWelded.jpg

That I did not catch...I've pondered doing that, however my biggest concern with that is having to weld 1/4th material to the plate...I'm not sure my 90amp flux can penetrate that. So I've been trying to avoid working with 1/4th material for a lot of serious welding as much as possible.

~Scott

I looked through all those threads and builds and nothing was quite as strong as i wanted mine to be. i used some design Q's from those builds and my front bumper to come up with what i wanted. all i can say is overbuild the ever living crap outta it, theres no such thing as too strong.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=993533

And Eli, What do you recommend doing for a d-ring mount?

~Scott

Go through the bumper from the backside. Either weld the D ring mount to the 'frame' tie in or just to the backside of the bumper.

Mine are only welded to the face of the bumper. Not the best way to do it but they are burned in good(Miller 175). Havent had an issue yet(knock on wood) but ill be building a tube pre runner style bumper so I wont have to worry about that anymore.

IMO you should set it up so the D rings are mounted to the bumper, which is then bolted to both sides, to spread force to both the left and right framerail.

Here is what I did for the bumpers I am making. 2"x1" channel with 1/2" grade 8 nuts welded to it. The plate is 4"x6" 1/4" thick. Had to cut the frame opening a little bigger to slide them in and they slide under the shackle bolt.
(they are only tacked together for now)

IMG_3162sml.jpg

IMG_3166sml.jpg

IMO you should set it up so the D rings are mounted to the bumper, which is then bolted to both sides, to spread force to both the left and right framerail.

Welding the D-rings alone to a bumper is a big no no for newer welders.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I picked some metal up last night so we'll see what happens.

~Scott

Just to give you some more weird ideas.

With mine I did do something different and I haven't seen anyone else with this type, maybe a good or bad thing, not sure. This has worked really well for two years and has been abused enough in that time that I am now completely confident in its strength. I used tow hitch reciever tubing incoporated into the mount and then slide in d-rings. Why did I do this? well mostly to be diffrent but also I am building a removable expedition rack for week long excursions and didn't want to haul all that weight around on my normal trail runs.
IMG_7928.jpg

I've since added flush mounted gas tank skid plate, to prevent being hung up between the body and the bumper
IMG_8171Medium.jpg

Back