• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny fluid spraying out of tranny dip stick(one time only)

stoneyva21

NAXJA Forum User
so i was on the way home from nc yesterday when my jeep started smoking. i was cruising around 65-70 mph 2,000-3,000 rpm when i went to pass a slower moving car and noticed the smoke coming from behind the jeep. i didn't have any idiots lights come on the dash. i had good oil pressure, the engine temp was 210, i had no lose of power, or slipping on any kind. i pulled over and pooped the hood, i could see where the was a fluid on the engine block, rear diff, "frame rail", fire wall, and oil pan skid on the passenger side of the engine bay. i crawled under the heep, and noticed the fluid was all over my cat and down pipe and thats were the smoke was coming from. i couldn't see anything leaking just the left over the hadn't burned off yet. the only thing i could see on the side of the road was the dip stick for the tranny fluid was soaked. i put my finger in a small puddle that had formed on the engine skid and saw that the fluid color was red, just like tranny fluid. i chanced it and drove another 3 miles to the next exit(didn't like the idea of working on the heep and the side of interstate 64 outside of williamsburg). i didnt see any more smoke on restart. got the the next exit and went alittle further in depth, had michelle watch for leaking fluid as i reved the engine up in drive and park, nothing came out. i called a few gear heads and asked em what to do,risk another 200+ miles on the highway or park it and have it towed. they said risk it and if you start to feel any slipping in the tranny pull over and put some fluid in it. so i did just that, drove from williamsburg to fairfax as quick as i could. i didn't see or smell any more smoke after the first time. anytime i stopped for gas or piss break i checked my fluid level, it stayed the same. i drove her to work this morning with no smoke or slipping.

anybody have any idea what happened? i didn't do it on the way down there and had never done it before. i didn't go wheeling at all down in obx, i also didn't drive thru any deep water. i only drove her 2 or 3 times last week and it was less then 30 miles both times, never broke 55 mph on the island either. should i have it looked at by a mech or just try and figure it out myself. only thing i could think it would be is the vent got clogged on the tranny. but i'm not sure how that could happen with no mud for 30 miles and on offroading since a trail ride run last month. i'm confused!

Try using a higher quality fluid, its expanding and blowing out. A couple buddies XJ's did the same thing on grades, switched out fluid to Sweptco and it completely stopped the issue.

i have never had this issue before, i have owned this jeep for almost a year. i have driven up to pa from va and had no issues, hell ran around Rausch creek allday on steep trails and didnt have this issue. same thing down in kentucky, drove her all the way there and drove her around the steep mountains down there with no issues.

if the fluid quality was off wouldn't it have happened before? interstate 64 in va is pretty damn flat, you can see for 2 miles out in front of you at times. no grades or anything where i was. i also didn't happen when i got off the highway and took the scenic route thru the hill country.

Mine did the exact same thing on a trip to the Smoky Mtns. Fine all the way down there, but got the tranny hot going up Newfound Gap and it spewed everywhere and burned off the exhaust. Then it was fine all the way home. Mine was just slightly overfilled. Drained, filled with correct amount and it's been fine ever since.

Eric

i did top the tranny fluid off when i replaced my radiator last month but i have done alot of driving and one off road trip since then. it should have happened on the trail ride if anything, was shifting from 2nd to 1st alot of the way down the mountain to save the brakes.

mine boils over every time i climb a steep grade in overdrive. there is a small hole on the trans above where the starter mounts that is there to release the expanded fluid when the transmisison starts to overheat. it drips down the front of the trans and is blown backwards right onto the exhaust pipe, causing the smoke. if this was the first time it happened and you stopped pretty quickly afterwards, i doubt you did any serious damage. i would invest in a tranny cooler, and not worry about it.

i vote on overfilling, mine had evidence of fluid all over the hatch after a trip to fl from md. I put some additive in before the trip i think hi revs like when passing made it worse. it eventually found its level and didnt leak anymore

Mine was fine for 3 years, then suddenly overflowed. All I did was replace a bad TPS. 87 Renix jeep. IT was up shifting at 1400 rpm in Drive, never got over 2000 rpm with the old TPS. New TPS I could get up to 4000 rpm easily. I had to remove 1 pint of T fluid after replacing the TPS. No problems since then, 2 years ago.

Happened to me once a few summers ago driving 80mph up out of a canyon. I pulled over after it started smoking and it was clearly coming out of the dipstick. I let it cool, and took it a little slower the rest of the way home. Drained and refilled...then installed a cooler. Hasn't been a problem since.

Back