• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Surfing in Baja California

HeepSpeed

NAXJA Forum User
We left early on Friday and took the 5 freeway down to the California/Mexico border crossing at Tijuana. Arriving in the evening at our "basecamp" of a friend's beach house, we were able to get an evening surf session in at Baja Malibu with good waves. We enjoyed beers and live rock music with the locals at a bar and called it a night after getting late night tacos from Rosarito.

We left around 10am on Saturday for our expedition to find good surf off the beaten path. We traveled south through Ensenada and continued to follow highway 1 to a little town called Santo Tomas. It was here that we veered off pavement. About an hour later, we came across the ocean again after a bone chattering off road session in my stock 1996 Jeep XJ.

We walked down the path by the fishing boats of the locals that live at Punta San Jose. Paddling out and surfing most of the day was excellent. We left around 6pm to have light out for the trip back. We dropped our bottles off at the store in Santo Tomas for our deposit and then got searched by the military at a checkpoint just north of Santo Tomas.

Getting back to the beach house after enchiladas and a few beers/margaritas was great after a day long expedition to nowhere to find surf. Enjoy the photos!

gassing up in San Diego (yes, we ended up at a Pemex...no gas problems though!)
6048_743304295107_3610222_43148054_479659_n.jpg

The waves at Baja Malibu
6048_743304115467_3610222_43148024_3062493_n.jpg

The store at Santo Tomas
6048_743304340017_3610222_43148061_4697580_n.jpg

Group photo on the road
5492_943756018304_9312322_59782912_3985788_n.jpg

Cruisin' off the beaten path
5492_943756043254_9312322_59782913_3534129_n.jpg

Arrival at Punta San Jose
5492_943758278774_9312322_59783058_4827404_n.jpg

Being goons with local bulls
5492_943758288754_9312322_59783059_3160898_n.jpg

Parked and ready to surf!
6048_743304050597_3610222_43148011_6577079_n.jpg

cow tipping? or looking for some shroom

That road out of Santo Tomas was just part of the Baja 500 course.Very pretty scenery along there.You should of went next door to the beer store and had some goat taco's!

So its not as bad as they make it seem on the news then huh? i been wanting to go visit but worry about getting kidnapped and held for ransom...:p

Definitely not as bad as they say. We got searched once by the military. LOL at holding my cheap Jeep for ransom. While in great condition, we weren't pulling a $30,000 trailer or anything of value.

Great time and we'll be heading back at the next south swell...

So its not as bad as they make it seem on the news then huh? i been wanting to go visit but worry about getting kidnapped and held for ransom...:p

Nothing but mass media hype!! Don't believe everything you read in the papers/see on TV. I go to Baja all the time. My in-laws live in Baja Malibu just across the road from where the photo in this thread was taken. I will be there again in 2 weeks. If you're not a rich local you won't be kidnapped. If you're not transporting drugs or guns you probably wont be shot,(more likely to be shot here in SoCal!!). I have found that once you get away from the boarder the people are freindly and curious. If you treat them with dignity and respect, you will get the same. That's more than I can say about this side of the boarder. Don't let some media bozo keep you from enjoing a great culture, great food, and great views. Go see for yourself.

P.S. Sorry for the rant :wave1:

DefiWhile in great condition, we weren't pulling a $30,000 trailer or anything of value.

I always get stuck pulling one of the race trucks across the border and back to the shop with a heavily marked box van and a Protruck on a flatbed trailer. Worst shakedown cost the team about $200 in fines.(Payoff) to get on our way. I guess it is the price we pay to play without all the treehuggers and politicians.

Definitely media hype. Although I told my parents I was camping in Santa Barbara and only told them it was actually Mexico once I got back since I knew they only know media hype and would worry too much.

As soon as we got out of the cities I felt the safest and the people were always nice and smiling and waving to us :)

Dude! You're mexican! WTF lol. You'll be fine.

:laugh::rof::laugh::rof: Ahhhh.... funny $Hit !!!

As to listening to the media... I don't I haven't been getting my info. from them... while it might not be as bad as portrayed it does seem to be worse then it has in the past...
I really miss BAJA... I agree that once out of the say 100 mile south of the border zone you can relax a bit...
I think if I was to go it'd be with a group of 3 to 5 vehicles a 4 day trip... couple nights of camping then the last night in the hotel and dash for the border early the next day...
I need to get my passport...

Curt

Yeah, one of my friends from San Diego was working in Tijuana, and it was very scary a lot of the time. I'd love to go, but won't chance my teen daughters or my non-imposing teen son down there. Used to go to San Felipe a couple times a year with a motorhome & a stock XJ, and I really miss it. With the right group, it could be fun.

But some of the folks on JustRuns have had some unnerving experiences (like armed men "dropping by" their campfire, and I think there were 10+ folks at the fire). On the other hand, some runs go just fine.

I think I'll have to wait 3 more years til my youngest is heading off to college already, so I don't have to worry about minor custody issues if I don't come home. Of course, that could just be an "I don't come home cuz I don't wanna come home" :laugh3:

Next time you go down south PM me, I haven't surfed in that area since 1976.
I've got a buddy who's a malibu regular, that would probably do a trip to Baja.

Back