• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter motor

Ritter4.0

NAXJA Forum User
What is the best low cost (generic) brand starter motor to get from a place like autozone or advanced auto? I think mine is going, or its my battery. I am pulling both today and hoping to get them tested.

My issue is that everything else electric works fine, but the starter makes that noise where it sounds like you have a nearly dead battery (wom wom wom wom tic tic tic tic). I am thinking either the battery has lost its cranking amps (still reads 12volts) or the starter is bad. What do you think? By the way I have a 1990 XJ 4.0 AX-15 NP231 if that even matters.

thanks​

Are the cables corroded?
Does it read 12V at the starter?

Yes, the cables are corroded, the positive has a good sized slit in it and the strands are all dirty. I am sure that the corrosion has traveled throughout the entire cable. I havent tried checking for 12V at the starter yet. This happened about a week ago, but went away, an now it is acting up again.

Last edited:
lol I would replace the cable for sure :) that could be your problem

Well I meant the cable for the starter. But yes even your main cables can be the cause the starter draws more power then anything else so it may be the only thing severely affected.
plus its not safe in 4 years of being on an army base that used about 30 cherokee's I saw 7 turn into fireballs from electrical. thats not counting shifts I wasn't on.

Thanks, I have both the battery and starter pulled to get them tested just in case. While I have all the wires unhooked I might aswell redo my cables.

Might aswell good luck :D. You could check the Ohms while its disconnected

But wouldnt the cables affect everything else too?

Yes and no. Eventually, yes, other things will start acting up. The starter has to draw a ton of power to work, while all the other electric stuff draws relatively nothing. And plus, once running, the battery has the alternator charging it.

I also would replace the cables and the battery clamps. They're more important than most people think!

I plan to replace all the cables with upgrades.

Can a battery just loose it's cranking amps?

Like everything else, yes. How old is the battery?

Back