• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 no forward gear except in 4LO

saxj

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ won't go forward except if I put it in low range (and then it doesn't take much brake force to stop it). In high range it barely holds the vehicle in place on a slight slope. Reverse still works properly.

The fluid is full to where it should be, no burnt smell, fluid is still a nice bright pink.

Any idea what the problem could be before I take it to someone?
If I have some idea of the cause, I won't get BS'd into an unnecessary expensive repair bill.

My XJ won't go forward except if I put it in low range (and then it doesn't take much brake force to stop it). In high range it barely holds the vehicle in place on a slight slope. Reverse still works properly.

The fluid is full to where it should be, no burnt smell, fluid is still a nice bright pink.

Any idea what the problem could be before I take it to someone?
If I have some idea of the cause, I won't get BS'd into an unnecessary expensive repair bill.

Bright pink?! It should be dark red. If it's bright pink like pepto, you have water in the tranny!

If the fluid truly is fine, then try putting it in 1 instead of D, if that helps then you may have a TCU problem (or associated wiring).

Torque converter not locking up maybe, Somthings definetly slipping might be a lil $$$

Last edited:
Back