• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silverton to Animas Forks

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
On Saturday morning Amanda and I headed down to Silverton. After setting up camp we made our way down the road that leads from Silverton to Animas Forks that we have traveled many times before. In the past we have explored a bunch of the side trails off of this road (Cunningham Gulch, Eureka Gulch, Picayune Gulch & Placer Gulch), however there were a few that either I have not checked out before, or that were blocked by snow when I attempted them. Our goal for this day was to check out the rest of those trails.

We started off in Arrastra Gulch. This was a quick one, as it appears that the trail now dead ends at private property pretty quickly.

Look up for the tram at the start of Arrastra Gulch
IMG_3910.JPG

There still are some nice views from this short trail
IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

Before heading back out to the Animas Forks Road, we took the trail up to Little Giant Basin.

Headed up to Little Giant Basin
IMG_3929.JPG

Tram tower
IMG_3935.JPG

Sealed up King Solomon Mine portal
IMG_3945.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

Big Giant Mill
IMG_3954.JPG

IMG_3983.JPG

Stopped by this waterfall on the way back down
IMG_4063.JPG

Our next destination was the next gulch north; Minnie Gulch. Amanda drove my Jeep on this one, so I could relax.

Caledonia Mine boarding house
IMG_4080.JPG

IMG_4082.JPG

Cabins along the trail
IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4091.JPG

Further up Minnie Gulch
IMG_4093.JPG

Waterfall along the trail
IMG_4098.JPG

Two-track at the end of the Minnie Gulch trail
IMG_4105.JPG

IMG_4109.JPG

Before heading back to Silverton, we had one more trail to explore. This one was right outside Silverton and headed up Swansea Gulch. It turns out the most interesting parts of this trail were right at the beginning, but it was still a nice steep drive to the sudden end of the trail.

Much of the trail looked like this. It was steep much of the way and never got above tree line, so there were no good views down onto Silverton.
IMG_4228.JPG

The one open spot near the end of the trail
IMG_4231.JPG

Lackawanna Mill with Silverton in the background
IMG_4243.JPG

Animas River
IMG_4249.JPG

After having dinner at Romero's we still had a little daylight left, so we headed up to Clear Lake.

IMG_4260.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

IMG_4274.JPG

IMG_4283.JPG

IMG_4296.JPG

As alway Randy, Great report and fantastic Pic's. I like Amanda's the best though.:D

Those are some amazing pics!

Back