• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How bad did I f up

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm installing my second set of RE 4.5" springs. I don't recall dealing with this issue last time but I read after that the post may need to be trimmed on the leafs If you don't use any spacers or shims. I went ehead and tightened them down and leafs are flush but I wonder if I did any damage tothe axle and if I should bother dropping the rear again. To trim. Any idea if Iv messed up my axle tube? Any ideas that will make me worry more or less would be helpfull. Thanks

Can not tell. Would you please Post Up some Photos?

If the leafs tightened down flush, you're probably fine. Pics are the only way we can know.

~Scott

Well it is flush but pics won't show the area in question If any damage was done it's under the leaf mount. It did take a little muscle to draw the leaf flush with the mount any my concern is that the pin was too long and dented the axle tube under the mount or cracked it. Could it be possible. I think I'm gonna call RE tomarrow an c what they say but I don't wanna drop the axle again till I have time to paint it. And I also don't see how driving the car could do any more damage

You're Fine you would most likely damage the center pin before damaging the axle. Also most of RE products are designed to be bolt in, so they wouldn't sell you a leaf spring with a wrong sized center pin.

you would know if you damaged the axle because you would of had to tighten the u bolts so tight to push the pin through the housing that more than likely you would've stripped the u bolts.... run it, you're fine.

are you saying you forced an over sized pin into a hole? i had the same problem, if you notice that the pins have warped or made new holes fix it asap! i blew up a D35 that way. i ripped the pinion out...

It usually takes a bit of muscle to get it down anyway. Years of corrosion make the hole in the leaf perch smaller and it takes more force to draw the new bolt/pin into the hole.

No way for it to dent or crack the axle housing. When I replaced my ubolts I found one of my leaf pins was cracked and the head was seized into the leaf perch above the axle. I spent an hour punching the head out of the perch and still didn't destroy anything, I highly doubt you did just cranking down the ubolts to seat the leafs on the perch correctly!

are you saying you forced an over sized pin into a hole?

i had this problem too, but i spit on it and the oversized pin went right in. :shocked:

if the leaf spring is sitting flat on the spring perch, you are good to go. if there is a gap under the leaf pack there take it back apart and grind down the pin till it fits the hole in the spring perch, or widen the hole with a dremel or something. either solution is fine.

i had this problem too, but i spit on it and the oversized pin went right in. :shocked:

if the leaf spring is sitting flat on the spring perch, you are good to go. if there is a gap under the leaf pack there take it back apart and grind down the pin till it fits the hole in the spring perch, or widen the hole with a dremel or something. either solution is fine.
You can also look under the perch and visually see if it is protruding through !!

You're Fine you would most likely damage the center pin before damaging the axle. Also most of RE products are designed to be bolt in, so they wouldn't sell you a leaf spring with a wrong sized center pin.

I received my RE 5.5 XD with the wrong axle tube u-bolts even though I was quite specific about it being a Chrysler 8.25, the center pins required having to drill a larger hole in the spring perch.

My personal opinion is to loosen up the u-bolts and check to make sure nothing happened to the axle tube. Spending an hour checking is key to safety. People can say you are fine, but you're the one that suffers. Why would you risk guessing about something that's going to be driven around. Not only is it your safety, but anyone around you as well.

I have seen a smashed spring perch when the pin didnt fit. I would pull it apart and check. I would say its a safety thing also. you really dont want an auto rear steer xj.

When i put in my re 3.5 springs i had to drill out the leaf pad about 1/8 inch. And the pin was also to long and was hitting the top of the axel tube. So i ground the end of the pin down. Do it the right way and take it apart just to make sure.

When i put in my re 3.5 springs i had to drill out the leaf pad about 1/8 inch. And the pin was also to long and was hitting the top of the axel tube. So i ground the end of the pin down. Do it the right way and take it apart just to make sure.

The 4* shims that I got with my RE 4.5 SF kit came with extra pins. I had to drill out the leaf pad as well with a 5/8 drill bit to get the pin to fit. The damn bit was like $15. Luckily I needed it later for my RE trackbar.

Back