• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to pull codes from a '91

dennis461

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Haynes Manual that describes two methods.
One shows a connector I do not have.
One descibes the key-on-off routine which does not work.
Is the 1992 XJ somehow special for pulling codes?
My Maintenance Required light is ON, I suspect because I broke the O2 sensor off the pipe a few week ago.

The XJ ran OK without it, but now I have a mis-fire when hitting the whoops.

How do you pull codes from a '91?

The key method works on my 91. Use the method as described here http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/index.html

The connector under the hood by the air filter is for a scanner, which is kind of expensive for a hobbyist. Any shop with a reasonable set of tools can pull the data though.

FYI, the Maint Reqd light is just a mileage timer to remind the owner that a major service interval has arrived, and does not signify any kind of trouble. A shop with a scanner can reset the light for you.

Still trying to find the Check Engine light.
Looks like the previous owner may have pulled the bulb out.
It should be lit when I disconnect the TPS right?
I don't see it come on during starting either.

OK
Got the dashboard apart, bulb was burned out.
Pulling codes seems to bring up an un-deciperable sequence.
I'll research this tommorrow.

Last edited:
The Maint Reqd light was for the O2 sensor, as explained by the dealer. They asked first if it had 87,500 miles. Which is when the light came on. Then they asked if it was running OK. I said yes, and they said 'put tape over it'. I pulled the bulb, as it is not tied to the 'check engine' light, which is required in PA for inspection. This was on my '92, and yes, I've used the key trick to get codes.

Back