• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water, Mud did me in. What now. Thanks

cher96

NAXJA Forum User
I Destroyed my Stock Electric Radiator Fan going through a Deep Mud Water Hole on a Trail a while back. I know Mud can be the Enemy, however, here in Florida... Mud Holes and Water Holes on Trails are always a Thing one must Tend with. That being said... I need some Suggestions of what would be an Awesome Solution besides "don't go through Mud or Water" since that would Require me to Park my XJ and never take it on a Florida Trail again.

As you can see by my Signature, I have Upgraded my Cooling System. I would like to keep the Stock Clutch Fan as I believe I can not keep an Electric Fan Going when Fording or going down Long Trails Flooded by Water. If I am Mistaken... Please, Enlighten me.

I do not want to put in another Stock Fan. I have a ProCool 16" Electric Fan that puts out about 1500 CFM and I do not believe it is Enough to Keep the Engine Cool Enough down here.

I really would like any Ideas, Suggestions, or Thoughts as if you were in my Situation... What would you do?

Please, Out of Courtesy, please do not ask me to do a Search as I have already done that and I can not find anything remotely resembles my Situation.

Thank you for your help. It is Deeply Appreciated.

Last edited:
if you are submerging the lower half of the motor you shouuld not need a fan running at all, ground temp water should easily cool your motor. I run Rausch Creek in pa often and, even when it is 90+ degrees I rarley have to turn on my electric fan. I have just removed my mechanical fan and I plan to just set up two electric fans on seperate switches. Just remember to switch off the fan when going through deep water.

Thanks for your Suggestion.

I Destroyed my Fan when going down a Trail that had a 100 foot Long Run of Mud and Water. The Fan Motor Broke Off it's Lattice Mount and Shorted Out. I should have put a Switch for the Fan so I could Disengage it. My Bad. Even so, the Lattice Mounted Fan Broke to Pieces. I wasn't going all that fast either.

I hope to Find something Stronger than the Stock Housing that will not Break the next Time I am Out on the Trails. A Dual Fan Setup would be great and I am sure would Increase Engine Horsepower and Save on Gas.

What Electric Fans would have Strong Fan Motor Mount Frame and Put Out a lot of CFM and still Fit in a XJ? Any Suggestions?

Thank you.

The Stock Fan Lattice Structure does not Appear to be very Strong. IMHO

A7008.JPG

The only time that stock fan has ever even turned on for me is when the A/C was engaged, other then that, it's never on, lol. The clutch fan is the only fan my rig is using regardless of the tempature outside, I rarely use the A/C since I have a 4 - door and open the windows. As for the pic of that fan, the stock fan is way beefier all around. From what I see on mine, it's sealed at all possible entry locations against water, etc. meaning the wiring, bearing etc.

The only time that stock fan has ever even turned on for me is when the A/C was engaged, other then that, it's never on, lol. The clutch fan is the only fan my rig is using regardless of the tempature outside, I rarely use the A/C since I have a 4 - door and open the windows. As for the pic of that fan, the stock fan is way beefier all around. From what I see on mine, it's sealed at all possible entry locations against water, etc. meaning the wiring, bearing etc.

Thank you for your Observations.

When I lived in Upstate New York, I didn't know anyone with Air Conditioning in their Vehicle.

And, when I lived further South in Tennessee after living in Wisconsin, only half the people I knew had A/C.

However, I now live in Florida where a lot of the Year is in the 90s or High 90s with High Humidity and everyone has A/C. If they don't, either the A/C is broken or the Vehicle is from up North. So, I really, really need a Strong Electrical Fan to keep the Engine Cool.

Is anyone using anything other than a Stock Fan and feel it would be Fine in Water (when turned off)?

Thanks

My stock fan has been fine for years, I have been through plenty of headlight deep water as well. IMO don't use a parts store fan try to find something that came stock in another car if you don't like the XJ fan. The aftermarket fans just don't seem to last from what I have seen.

My stock 97 XJ fan is way beefier than that one you posted a picture of.

I did have problems with my stock fan once, it was making a bunch of noise, took it apart and greased it up and its been fine.

Thank you both. I appreciate your Thoughts.

I'm am now looking at some Spal Fans.

I know my Radiator is 11 1/8"s Tall and About 31"s Wide. What size Fan would Fit within the Limitations of the Radiator's Mounting?

Would I be able to use two 12"ers, 11"ers, or could I use three 10" Electric Fans?

If I go with 10" Fans, is there enough Room to Fit In 3 of them Side by Side?

Thank you.

I am looking at Installing three 10" Fans. Does anyone know if they will Fit in a XJ?

Thanks

60010.jpg

Another option is the popular dual taurus fan install. They push out alot of air and two of them fit just fine in an xj with removal of the mechanical fan.

Another option is the popular dual taurus fan install. They push out alot of air and two of them fit just fine in an xj with removal of the mechanical fan.

Believe it or not... LOL .... All I had found was a Dual XJ Fan Setup and Aftermarket 3 Fan Setups.

Now, I see I can use a Taurus Fan in Tandem. What I have been Reading since your Post is that they can cause Wire Fires because of their High Amperage.

I'm surprised that you haven't asked about the single two speed taurus fan. They seem to be by far the most popular fan mod.

Can a Single Taurus 2 spd Fan be Swapped Out for a XJs without causing a Wire Fire?
Isn't the Taurus's Amperage much higher?

you will be fine if you wire the taurus elec fans correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too small wire or wrong set up will set fire, but a good, correct set-up will cause you no issues at all!!!!!!!!!

you have a terrible theory of taurus fan causing fires!

you will be fine if you wire the taurus elec fans correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too small wire or wrong set up will set fire, but a good, correct set-up will cause you no issues at all!!!!!!!!!

you have a terrible theory of taurus fan causing fires!

Thank you for your Thoughts.

No Theory here. I am just Inquiring because of what I have Learned from what I Read.

I am not an Auto Electrician, a Mechanic, a Fabricator, nor Engineer. I am only a XJ Enthusiast.

Since I must be Mistaken, would you please Enlighten me.

Thank you.

If you decide to use a Taurus fan, you will need to wire it up separately from the fan wiring you have now. If you need help I can send you detailed instructions on how to wire it up for your needs.

If you decide to use a Taurus fan, you will need to wire it up separately from the fan wiring you have now. If you need help I can send you detailed instructions on how to wire it up for your needs.

I appreciate that. I am Old School admittedly. If a Vehicle has a Carburetor, Distributor, and Leaf Springs and has just a few Vacuum Lines.... I'm all there. However, beyond Basics... I'm on a Learning Curve like most everyone else.

Thanks for Offering Up Detailed Instructions. I really Appreciate your Help. Thank you.

I PMed you my Email Address.

When wiring a taurus fan, make sure to use a separate relay for the low speed, and another for the high speed. The high speed requires a huge relay.

Back