• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission fluid...

bmfm64

NAXJA Forum User
doin a transmission service... what fluid goes back in? i know transmission fluid, but what type? dexron mercon2 or 3 or something else? 99 xj with 4.0 and aw4/231 combo... thanks!

Dextron III

Nothing but Dex III.

Nothing but Dex III.

:bs::banghead: That is just BUNK info there!! I have been running +4 for over 3 years with grate results!! Please give correct info if you are going to do it!!

Dexlll should get 200,000++ miles of troublefree service from a AW4 with routine changes.
Why gamble?
--NOT ME!! --DEXlll ONLY.
O

:bs::banghead: That is just BUNK info there!! I have been running +4 for over 3 years with grate results!! Please give correct info if you are going to do it!!

Actually, per Chrysler, through 2006 they were still insisting that ATF +4 was not suitable for use in the AW4.

Magically, in 2007, per Chrysler, it became OK to use ATF +4 in the AW4.

That is the official record.

Why did it become ok in 2007--well, if I was a skeptic, I would say that there wouldn't be anymore AW4s out there covered under warranty, so why not?

Of course, anybody is free to put whatever they want into their transmissions.

Magically, in 2007, per Chrysler, it became OK to use ATF +4 in the AW4.

That is the official record.

And not so magically, Chrysler seems to be bankrupt.

I wonder why :looser:

But seriously, I've seen this discussed forever. Since the AW4 is NOT a Chryco unit, it was never designed nor intended to use ATF +3/4. Dexron 3 is the fluid it was designed around. Hell, most Jeep dealers don't even know that AW4s have filters. However, the only folks who have no issues with ATF +4 in their AW4 drained ALL of the Dex 3 out first. Reason? Dexron and ATF +3/4 are incompatible. Why does this work? My only guess is that ATF +4 is a far superior lubricant than Dexron 3. Once the Dex 3 is gone, the ATF +4 can work properly. This is not gospel, its only conjecture from what I know about Jeeps and trans fluids. Would I do this? Hell no, its not worth it even if ATF +4 is a better lube than Dex 3. I've had synthetic ATF (Amsoil) in AW4 for almost 8 years. That's better then playing ATF roulette.

--Matt

Back