• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

She lived a long 318K life.... and I killed HER!!!!

DownhomeMoto

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have killed what I belive is the highist milage stock 4.0 Jeep out there. She had 318K, and I killed her....:hang:

Long story short... I bought my XJ in Jan this year it's a 90 with 315K all stock. Since I had her she had always left her mark. SO I bought a complete gasket set and pulled the motor to give her new gaskets and Timing set. Everything was going great!! I had her out and it was working on cleaning the old gasket off the oil pan. I was useing my dads e-stand and lets just say it is an old one. So old it only has three wheels ( you know likt a T). So I had the motor turned 90deg and was working on the last of the pan gasket. I stopped to get a soda and just as I stood up.... BANG!!! I felt this burning down the back of my leg. And what do I see come flying between my feet.... The #1 rocker arms... that's right broke it clean off the head and snaped the bolt of the other one.

So there I was busting motor on the floor, tears in my eyes and word vomit comeing up like after a night of mindless beng drinking.

As of right know I don't know what to do. I know I need a head, valves (2), push rods (2), rocker arms and hardwear. But is it really worth putting a rebuilt head on a motor with all those miles??? I guess in realy doesn't matter I don't have the money to do anything with it now...GRRRRR maybe I'll just sell it all for parts...I don't know!!!!:rattle:

HA, 315K... i'm sure theres motors with more than that on them. Also, if you were willing to take the motor out to reseal it why not get a head from the JY and slap it on - with any luck from a lower mileage vehicle.

A junk yard head should not bust your piggy bank and should be just fine!

Thanks guys.... I still need to tell the wife the good news... What about getting an HO head? There is a clean looking 95 at the JY with 155K?

I wouldn't put a low mileage head on that engine. I'd get an entire long block from the JY and save yourself some time.

I would just to see how much she has left in her :)
Thanks guys.... I still need to tell the wife the good news... What about getting an HO head? There is a clean looking 95 at the JY with 155K?

Do it, costs 20$ at a junk yard and its quite a few HP gain.

Back