• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Portable AC

J Money

NAXJA Forum User
I know this isn't XJ related...

Any of you guys have experience with a portable AC? I live in a condo and have had my AC worked on twice now. The air out of the vents is 20 degrees cooler than what's going into the intake so I know it is working ok, but the thing is probably 15 years old. I live upstairs with vaulted ceilings so that doesn't help the situation.

It's 85 degrees in my place here in Yorba Linda, which will get worse as the day goes on. It's 100 degrees outside on my patio.

I added an attic fan and double paned windows, that helped a little bit. Windows are also getting tinted on Tuesday.

I was thinking of getting a portable AC from Home Depot or something just to cool my living room.

Any opinions or experience with these things?

They work all right, but they all have condensation pans that have to be dumped all the time. Your probably looking at anywhere to 300-600 for a stand alone unit. I sell a/c equipment and could probably get you a decent deal on the outdoor condenser. I don't install them though. You would need to find someone else to do that.

I just think if your going to spend the money, you may as well upgrade your a/c system. Maybe upsize the condensr a little if the ducting will allow it to get more cooling capacity.

I have a portable unit in my bedroom. I paid about 350 shipped and it works great. This is the second season I've used it. I has a vent duct and window adapter setup and it gets rid of the condensation through this duct instead of a pan.

Time to buy a new A/C unit for your house..They do have 1 or 2 years same as cash..Check into this before you throw your money out the window..

I also live in Yorba linda, we have a 2100sq/ft home with new windows, and I am a mechanical designer for a HVAC company and have made sure that the ac system is fully functional and good.

In this heat we keep it at about 69deg and the ac cycles about on 15min off 15min. The house also has a very large cubic ft entry and living room area on the first floor. I keep a very large fan going the whole time in that area to circ the air. With doing that, we are broke every summer just from elect bill (average 400$).

For at night we we open all windows about 8pm and put that big arse fan in front of a open slider and pull a lot of cool outdoor air in to the house. Then for in our bedroom i have a 2ton 24000BTU port ac unit. We got it about 4 yrs ago. We turn that on about 7pm and it cools our 590sq/ft bdrm with 20 foot vaulted celing. it will only cool the room to about a consistant 68 deg if its still like 75-80 outside and cooler as the night goes on. We mostly do it to remove the humidity, the cooling is nice also, but hate to feel muggy in bed.

the one I have uses the condensor air to evap the condensation and we never have to worry draining anything. It also has a remote T-stat and programable for temps. You have to run a 6" exhaust air duct to a window. I think I paid 275 on craigslist.

theres alot that goes into sizing a AC unit. mostly is window exposure (south or worst west facing) and wall insulation value. but total cubic ft of space is also very important. I would look into the largest you can afford and make sure it is a drainless style.

Hey robert, is this a type-o? 69 deg..Holy crap son thats cold...I keep my house at 76 during the day and night..But it was 117 here at my place..My a/c is only a year old now, it is a 16 seer... My bill is about 120 for elec..

no typo. 69. at most is about 71, Inside that is. And thats why the bill is 550$ during aug typically and about 300 june. july and sept

I'm on the fence about the portable AC unit, possibly holding off till later this week if things get hotter. My neighboor bought a portable 12,000 BTU portable unit and said it didn't really work in his place because all of our ceilings are vaulted. Also, if they aren't Energy star compliant they pull around 15 amps which will throw the breakers if watching TV or whatever else.

My house got up to 87 on Saturday, which is why I started this post.

Yesterday was WAY hotter outside and the house never got above 83 inside. That wasn't too bad considering it was 100+ yesterday.

I have no idea what happened between Saturday and Sunday but yesterday was much more bearable.

If anybody else is looking, sears outlet in Brea has refurbished 10,000 BTU Sharp Units for $299 which is $150 less than Costco. They have a 1 year warranty too.

My AC unit is 2.4 ton for a 1100 sq ft. codo with vaulted ceilings, so it is way to small. I wonder if I install a newer condenser if that will help?

I know upgrading to a 3.5 or 4 ton requires a new evaporitive coil and furnace too which ends up being big bucks.

I would rather by some new shocks...

Back