• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Help: No 4WD

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, today I noticed that I couldn't shift into 4WD Hi. The lever feels like its doing something for Neutral and 4Lo. But the lever just kind of floats between 2hi and 4hi. I crawled underneath to take a quick looksee and I found this:

It would appear that it simply came undone, how exactly is it supposed to be on there? Do I just push it back in? is there supposed to be a clip or something? Thanks in advanced

pretty hard to tell exactly what is going on in that small picture, but all of those linkage arms are simply pressed into their sockets. they rest inside a rubber grommet, and Im pretty sure there are no clips holding them in.
If these came apart on you, you may have bigger issues than you think. Your tranny could be loose on the crossmember and cause it to slide to the pas. side disconnecting your linkage.

I dropped the transfer case about 1" a couple months ago, could that be the culprit? Also, that just a thumbnail, click it and it gets larger.

Yes, dropping the t case w/o modifying the linkage is the culprit.

Yes, it just pops into the hard nylon grommet, grease it first and you will probably need pliers to push it in.

Thanks Joe, I got it popped back in. How exactly do I modify it? just drill another hole?

Might be easier to lower the body side bracket. Some of the xfer drop kits have a small plate that bolts in to lower the mount. You can make this bracket pretty easy with a square of metal and a drill. Have a look at the drilled plate in the center of this picture.
jks_blmml_combo_MED.jpg

Thanks Joe, I got it popped back in. How exactly do I modify it? just drill another hole?

lawsoncl has it right.

Falliblexj, PM me your email address and I will send you a pdf file with some good pictures of the bracket and its intallation.

Back