• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door guard and fender flare removal.

RustyBlackXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking through some threads, and it looks like the trim pieces on the doors and the fender flares snap on to a bracket that is bolted to the body. All the information I can find refers to removing the brackets as well for fender trimming. I just want to pull them off to replace so I don't want to unbolt anything I don't have to. Any ideas? This is for a 99, BTW. Thanks!

When I had stock flares on my '98 sometimes a flare would get hit hard from the bottom and pop out of the bracket. The bolt at the bottom corner of the flare under the vehicle would be the only thing holding it to the Jeep as it dragged down the trail.

When I've taken off the flares in the past two other things have happened. Sometimes the plastic tabs on the back of the fender flare will get stuck in the bracket and literally tear off which of course destroys the fender flare and still leaves plastic stuck in the metal bracket. Then, if the metal bracket that holds the fender flare to the vehicle gets bent just a little then the flares can come off by themselves while your driving down the interstate.

Are you just wanting to put on new OEM flares or what?
hth, Doug

To install the fender flare, you should remove the brackets. Put the bracket into the flare, adjust the bracket for a snug fit and install the bracket and flare as a single piece onto the body. The stud that brackets use are fragile and it is not uncommon to twist off one or more. Use lots of penetrating oil. Grind off the head of the broken stud and use a nut and bolt to replace it.

Door trim is held on by double sided tape.

Never mind. I'm an idiot. There's nothing wrong with my flares. They're painted to match the rest of the Jeep. I was thinking of my 88 I just got rid of.

Back