• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help needed! Stuck in the middle of aftermarket keyless entry install

supark

NAXJA Forum User
Some background - my 96 cherokee country has factory power locks and keyless entry (infrared).

Decided to install a DEI 712t keyless entry system and am feeling out of my element. Hopefully you guys can help. Here's what I thought I was supposed to do:

Power: Red wire on ignition harness - check
Ground: easy - just grounded on bolt connecting to bare unpainted metal
Unlock: Pink w/purple stripe wire running from door lock control harness under driver side kick panel. Connected to "unlock common output" wire on DEI keyless entry harness
Lock: Orange w/purple stripe from same door control harness. Connected to "lock common output" wire on keyless entry harness.

I'm getting power to the keyless entry system, but it's not actuating the locks. I can't figure it out - what am I missing? Below is the wiring harness wire out descriptions if that helps. Right now I'm not as concerned about wiring up the ancillary functions like beeping the horn and such - just want to get the unlock/lock function working. Thanks in advance!

Red: (+) constant power input
Blue: (-) 200 mA second unlock output
Black/White-1: input of domelight supervision relay #87
Black/White: Output of domelight superviison relay #30
Green/Black: Lock #30 common output
White/Black: Lock #87 Normally closed
Violet/Black: Lock #87 Normally open (input)
Blue/Black: unlock #30 common (output)
Violet: Unlock #87 normally open (input)
White: (+/-) Parking light flash output
Black: (-) Chassis ground input
Brown: (-) Horn honk output
Light Green/Black: factory alarm disarm
White/Blue: (-) 200mA Channel 3 validity output
Yellow: (+) Switched igition input
Orange: (-) 500 mA ground-when-armed output
Brown/Black: Unlock #87a normally closed
Red/White: (-) output of channel 2

dude,we can almost keep a tech going steady removing them crap things when things go wrong.

I was wondering at if my car had 5 wire reverse polarity. But turns out that cars that came with factory keyless entry have all the relays built in. I believe the triggers are positive pulse?

I found this much better installation manual for another brand of keyless entry system - black widow. Strangely enough the wire colors correspond exactly to mine. If the suggested wiring diagram for both negative and positive pulse systems is applicable to my car, it looks like I wired the triggers correctly the first time. However, the not sure where the violet and violet/black wires should go to. I tried the ground and nothing, and then I tried wiring them into both the footwell light (yellow factory harness), the ignition wire and then the constant 12v source. None of those worked...

I don't have a 96 FSM to confirm your wire colors. Pull the relays and measure for voltage showing up at either pin 85 or 86 when you hit the door lock switch to confirm that its +voltage switching. Then chase that wire backwards to the switch.confirm.

The colors are probably different, but the 97 FSM says it is the pink/black and pink/violet wires you want.

was getting worried that I was only making things worse by trying to get this thing installed, so I admitted to myself that I was over my head and brought it over to a shop in the bay to do the install. I have admitted myself that electrical crap is just not my forte..

got your PM today supark. this looks to be quite simple.
It looks like you need to take the Violet/Black wire and connect it to pos 12v should be all it is

Back