• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck on getting the TC back in the tranny

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Help please, I cannot figure this out.

I am in the middle of an engine swap on my 89 XJ. Got the tranny off and separated from the torque converter.

Start to bolt the torque converter to the flywheel and realized if I did that it would be pain getting the splined input shaft on the tranny lined up with the torque converter and could be an issue getting the slot section of the torque converter lined up with the input shaft.

So I put the torque converter on the tranny input first the bolted the tranny to the engine. Well now I cannot turn the engine over or roate the torque conveter to get the flywheel bolts to line up. First thought it was cause I had the spark plugs in but I took those out and it still will not turn over. Too much resistance in the tranny and t-case?

Do I need to bolt up the torque converter and flywheel first and then attempt to line up the tranny input? Thanks. would like to get this all together tonight still.

You need to get the t/c slid all the way into the trans w/the pump, than bolt up the engine to trans. Right now it sounds like you have everything bound up. If the t/c is installed all the way into the trans and the engine is bolted up, you should be be able to rotate the flexplate or t/c freely.

When you put the torque converter in the trans, it didn't seat all the way. It's a pain in the a** to get right. You know it's in all the way when all the skin's been striped from your fingers.:D

Anyway, (disclaimer: I never pulled a TC off a AW-4) There's a slot across the back of the TC output shaft. Look inside the hole in the trans, and you'll see a pair of ears that have to line up with the slot. With the TC in, wiggle/shake it back and forth, up/down etc, and it should drop in another 1/2" or so. (unless you hit it perfect on the first try and it seated. I've never managed this.:looney:) This is where I usually loose skin. While getting the TC to seat, I always pinch my hand against some part of the bell housing(all experience is with Mopar torqueflites)

Anyway, when you think it's in, lay a straight edge against the flex plate(at the back of the engine) and measure from the mounting face back to the rear bolt circle(on the back of the block). Now measure on the transmission from the mounting face on the TC out to the face of the belll housing. There should be AT LEAST 1/8" clearance (measurement on the transmission should be larger then the measurement on the motor).

Good luck, and try leather gloves, it might save your fingers.

When you put the torque converter in the trans, it didn't seat all the way. It's a pain in the a** to get right. You know it's in all the way when all the skin's been striped from your fingers.:D

Anyway, (disclaimer: I never pulled a TC off a AW-4) There's a slot across the back of the TC output shaft. Look inside the hole in the trans, and you'll see a pair of ears that have to line up with the slot. With the TC in, wiggle/shake it back and forth, up/down etc, and it should drop in another 1/2" or so. (unless you hit it perfect on the first try and it seated. I've never managed this.:looney:) This is where I usually loose skin. While getting the TC to seat, I always pinch my hand against some part of the bell housing(all experience is with Mopar torqueflites)

Anyway, when you think it's in, lay a straight edge against the flex plate(at the back of the engine) and measure from the mounting face back to the rear bolt circle(on the back of the block). Now measure on the transmission from the mounting face on the TC out to the face of the belll housing. There should be AT LEAST 1/8" clearance (measurement on the transmission should be larger then the measurement on the motor).

Good luck, and try leather gloves, it might save your fingers.
X2 what he said & those slots & ears are to engage with the trans pump. Hold steady preassure against it & turn it very slowly. you will feel when the slots engage with the tabs.

Skin is highly over rated.:D

i just did one of these
what i did was put the tc in how i thought it should then when it droppes in and seems in rock it and turn back and forth till you feel it drop in again

yep thats what it was, prety much had it seated andspun it while pressing in, it dropped right in. Getting everything lined up again was a pia but it's done. Thanks.

yep thats what it was, prety much had it seated andspun it while pressing in, it dropped right in. Getting everything lined up again was a pia but it's done. Thanks.

No prob. was worth getting that name red wasn't? Nevermind, just saw how long you been around, duhhhhhhhh.

Back