• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj starts then dies a couple seconds later

Capndave92yj88xj

NAXJA Forum User
starts fine but dies it doesnt doo it all the time acts like fuel is shut off bc it doesnt stumble it just dies like i shut off the key
have changed map with a known good and still does it

88XJ????

Check the white resitor on the left fender near the radiator support. Either bad resistor or wire fell off.

i have an 89 xj with kinda the same problem. ( not trying to high jack the thread) but mine randomly cutts off like its lost fuel i say randomly cuz 90% of the time its when im going threw some sort of water even a 1/2 deep rain puddel made it cut off once. i know its getting fuel to the rail. i bled the fuel rail and then turned the power back on to the fuel pump and it refilled. ive also changed CPS, plugs wires distributer waterproofed my fuel pump connector oil change new exauhst new airfilter. any ideas if this could be my problem as well

#1- Jumper ballast resistor. Completely safe and takes only about 5 minutes. If that fixes it, you can either replace the resistor or just leave it jumpered. It's there only to reduce noise on the fuel pump circuit.

#2- Your crankshaft position sensor may be starting to go south. Very common failure.

this exact same thing happened to my 90 a little while ago. i thought it was the cps, and i even changed it(what a bitch!) but it turns out it was a loose wire on the ballast resister. i bypassed it and it has been running fine since.

Back