• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dsfyi...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Been working on rebuilding my front and rear ds's, want to pass some info on in order to help others via my screw ups.

I removed fds, replaced oem u's w/spicer greasables, went smooth w/sockets and a vice but next time going to figure out how to attach sockets to faces of vice, pita lining everything up while beginning the tightening process w/vice handle...

Now, the important info. Back in '99 I replaced my 242 ts w/a 231 sye, Currie FWIW (holding up great). Tom Woods when at six states built me a cvrds, then I neglected the rear dif uj noise, broke while driving, a-hole shop rebuilt it.

I bought greasable 1310's and a Spicer 209 flanged front yoke to rebuild the rds, and while cleaning the centering ball until I could go back to the ds shop to buy the centering ball gasket thing (first a-hole shop left it out) of course the brake cleaner blew all the needles all over the place. Had already rebuilt fds, old fds centering ball needles I found are the same as the rear, first tip. :loveu:

Second tip, when I further reassembled the rds w/the old spicer greasable uj's, I again of course broke a couple of uj needles in the vice. Figuring I could also rape the old f/non-greasable oem spicers, discovered those needles were shorter than the greasable spicers. They did fit in there nicely width-wise, but not length-wise. Maybe they could stay there, but my lack of experience told me just stick an original fds uj in the rear h-yoke until I got to the ds shop for the gasket thing.

Bottom line, the above (and a magnifying glass) got the rds back in, thank the Lord :patriot:

I know most of you guys can do ds rebuilds in your sleep, just wanted to pass this info along, might help someone like me avoid problems in the future... It's true,the devil is in the details...

Last edited:
Good info - just to make it more search-friendly I'd like to un-abbreviate a few terms for ya though:
front driveshaft
rear driveshaft
differential differentials
u-joint u-joints

You covered a couple things that I knew but always forget about passing along...good info.

Jim,

Thanks for the advice; I thought that a search would pull it up, but never thought about the abbreviations. :eeks1:

Going to repost it w/your suggestions (at the end of the post, it'll still come up in a search, no?!?).

cv driveshaft/u-joint rebuild...

Been working on rebuilding my '98's front and rear ds's, want to pass some info on in order to help others via my screw ups.

I removed fds, replaced oem u's w/spicer greasables, went smooth w/sockets and a vice but next time going to figure out how to attach sockets to faces of vice, pita lining everything up while beginning the tightening process w/vice handle...

Now, the important info. Back in '99 I replaced my 242 ts w/a 231 sye, Currie FWIW (holding up great). Tom Woods when at six states built me a cvrds, then I neglected the rear dif uj noise, broke while driving, a-hole shop rebuilt it.

I bought greasable 1310's and a Spicer 209 flanged front yoke to rebuild the rds, and while cleaning the centering ball until I could go back to the ds shop to buy the centering ball gasket thing (first a-hole shop left it out) of course the brake cleaner blew all the needles all over the place. Had already rebuilt fds, old fds centering ball needles I found are the same as the rear, first tip.

Second tip, when I further reassembled the rds w/the old spicer greasable uj's, I again of course broke a couple of uj needles in the vice. Figuring I could also rape the old f/non-greasable oem spicers, discovered those needles were shorter than the greasable spicers. They did fit in there nicely width-wise, but not length-wise. Maybe they could stay there, but my lack of experience told me just stick an original fds uj in the rear h-yoke until I got to the ds shop for the gasket thing.

Bottom line, the above (and a magnifying glass) got the rds back in, thank the Lord.

I know most of you guys can do ds rebuilds in your sleep, just wanted to pass this info along, might help someone like me avoid problems in the future... It's true, the devil is in the details...

front driveshaft
rear driveshaft
differential differentials
u-joint u-joints

Last edited:
thanks...

Back