• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE1801 hack n tap + stock front driveline

redrider2911

NAXJA Forum User
Im getting really confused reading through all these home made hack n tap threads. I just need verification that i can use this kit from rubicon express and bolt a stock front driveline to it. thanks

np242 t case
8" lift
87 xj (wagoneer)

With that much lift you will need to lengthen the shaft and you will also need a flange, spicer part # 211229X or napa part # puj 627.

well i do have the d44 in the rear so that is a little longer off the pinion right? What about using a yj drive line, i believe they are longer. What do I need the flange for, isnt the hack n tap kit complete? and whats the average price of the flange? thanks

some people have found the flange for around $70, i went to NAPA and i got charged 103.45 for it! There are a couple websites that have seen them for about $50. You also might want to pick up a couple new u-joints, i destroyed one of my u-joints just trying to get the flange on so be prepared.

With that much lift you will need to lengthen the shaft and you will also need a flange, spicer part # 211229X or napa part # puj 627.

I got napa PUJ 627 and holy crap this thing looks weird... I can see that u-joints go into it, and the part that attaches to the RE Hack-n-tap SYE... but what's with the grease 'hole' in the center, and assembly of it onto the XJ front DS? ANy pics or writeups on that part? I can't seem to find any (yes I searched)

the RE kit uses a different U-joint connection thingie, you'll need the flange.
With 8" of lift, you should not use the front shaft.
If you aren't using the front shaft, you probably need to buy a custom shaft - D44 or not. If you do the research and find one from a junkyard that fits, post it up.
If you are going to buy a custom shaft, don't bother with the flange - just get it made the way you need it.

The flange converts the front D.s. from a pinion mount (like the front axle)- and changes it to a flat, 4 bolt flange mount for the machined HnT part.

And yeah, get new u joints, while its out.

the RE kit uses a different U-joint connection thingie, you'll need the flange.
With 8" of lift, you should not use the front shaft.
If you aren't using the front shaft, you probably need to buy a custom shaft - D44 or not. If you do the research and find one from a junkyard that fits, post it up.
If you are going to buy a custom shaft, don't bother with the flange - just get it made the way you need it.

I pirated the thread asking about the flanged part. My '96 auto XJ has the RE 3.5" lift, and I scored a front DS for use out back. I could not find any ZJ v8s there today, but did find a ZJ i6 shaft.... appeared and measured same, only difference is that i6 zj shaft has dust boot and no grease fitting.

Back