• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX Specialty Tools

BlackRock

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to get a nice collection of tools to carry on the trail. Came across a situation where the Throttle Body could not be removed and cleaned because I had no 3/8" T-45 Torx to remove the TB.

Are there any uncommon or unusual tools that some of the seasoned trail vets recommend that I aquire to have in the rig on trips, or even in the garage that are commonly used? (Besides a dead blow hammer, lol)

Any advice is sincerely appreciated! Thanks

1989 Cherokee Limited

renix or not these rigs use a million torx bolts.. you want to have every size

Carry Metric and SAE dont expect it to be all SAE because its a wonderful blend of both

Personally, I take the $900 tool set from Sears.

The only trouble I have is lifting the roll-around cabinet up on to the roof! LOL!

x2 on a good selection of standard and metric wrenches and sockets, 3/8" drive for the smaller sizes and 1/2" for the larger--cut down on duplication, pry bars, come-along and/or large ratcheting strap(s), digital multimeter, noid light, screwdrivers--assorted, Torx sockets, wire in assorted gauges, bailing wire, cutters, pliers, and whatever else floats your boat.

JB weld, duct tape

Full set of metric and SAE Hex bit sockets. Full set of torx sockets. Assortment of u-joints and wobblers and extensions for 3/8 stuff. Good set of metric and standard 12 pt. combo wrenches. PB blaster! GOOD 1/2" breaker bar....very good, cheater bar, 30mm axle nut socket. Grease gun small pistol type with flex hose. Tire wire and lineman's pliers 2 5qt jugs of 10-30 oil. 5 qt jug gear oil. 5 gallon Jerry Can. Extra battery, jumper cables and battery cable ends. Mapp Gas torch, brazing rod. Spark plugs, CPS, Extra 12 gage wire and connectors with quiktaps! Thats about all you should need. And dont forget a wheeling\wrenching buddy

Make sure your wrench set contains 18 mm both for sockets and combination wrenches. Some don't, but XJ's use a lot of 18, so supplement the set if needed. If you contemplate driveline repairs, make sure you have a good 5/16" box wrench for the little strap bolts. If you are expecting to fix serpentine belts, a metric set of "gearwrench" ratcheting box wrenches is very handy, especially the fancy ones with flex ends. A single 15 mm. will do later models, but you'll want 13's for the Renix.

If you expect ever to have to do a crank position sensor, it's handy to have a 1/4 inch drive set, with at least two long extensions and a universal joint. Get a piece of hose or plastic tubing that fits over the U-joint to make it less floppy.

Depending on year, check what kind of bolts are on your front calipers. Some use a 7 mm. allen wrench that's hard to find. Some use a common hex bolt. If you have the 7 mm. type, make sure you have one of those wrenches in the kit.

a 13mm 12-point socket, I believe it's for the brakes.

a 13mm 12-point socket, I believe it's for the brakes.

It is for the unit bearings.

I've seen the caliper bolts in either torx or allen heads.

For the front hubs, if your vehicle has been apart a few times, and especially if it has been taken apart by others of unknown skill, I suggest you add a 1/2 inch 12-point socket to the kit. !/2 inch is a tight (light hammer-on), but non-damaging fit on the 13 mm, and can sometimes work when a 13 slips. It's saved me a couple of times.

It is for the unit bearings.

I've seen the caliper bolts in either torx or allen heads.

This is correct my calipers are allen bolts. 13mm for the hubs, which I did not need to replace until around 200k miles. My hubs were underwater alot so yours may last a bit longer, but the 12 pt 13mm took me a while to find out what it was, and a little while longer to find where to buy, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Back