• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Tcase should I use???

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I asked this in OEM tech but I didn't get many constructive responses. I got a few but the more input the better
I need to decide on a Tcase.
I have 2.5 rockwells and 47" LTB's... The rockwells have a 6.72 : 1 gear ratio. I currently have a np242 but its from a junk yard
and was thinking about rebuilding a np231 and bringing a spare.
Or there's buying an atlas2...

I'm selling my saturn to fund this but. there's other things to consider
A: I'm still winch less (mine died on first run)
B: I need new axle shafts (bendix suck)
C: I have to be ready for fall fling (have to)
D: I'm Working on a stroker (wont be done before fall fling)

So what do you think about using a 231as a Permanent solution or will it be a JB weld equivalent in Tcases. should I run the 242 until it blows and bring a spare?(My case exploded on my last one Pre 47's)

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

Last edited:
This was right before a rubicon trip I changed the fluid in preparation and a few days later boom had to run to the junkyard and get a replacement... still made it :).No I wasn't doing anything fancy sorry to disapoint. few months before that It went to the Rubicon sat mostly until the next trip. This is what happens when u spend the extra buck on amsoil.

I'm leaning towards the atlas now maybe I'll stick with Bendix shafts o_O

Last edited:
If you're looking for more gearing check out the box 4 rocks kit. It's a 231 to D300 doubler. Stick some 4:1 gears in the D300 and you could have a ~10:1 low range.

Just another option.

The axles already have 6.72 Id be happy with 3:1 at the tcase

I assume since you are still talking about 242's and 231's that you have a drivers side drop front? And the rear is relatively centered?

Personally I would prefer the Atlas for many reasons (options on gear ratios, front digs, strength, size, etc).

Second I would go with a D300, flipped with your choice of gear ratios (if you want to change them).

But there is nothing wrong with either the 242 or 231. They are both excellent TC's and have upgrade options (wide chain, SYE, 4:1, Low2X, etc). Personally I would go with the 231 over the 242 for this type of project (more options in upgrades and full time 4x I wouldn't expect to be a important option on this type of rig).

Michael

The axles already have 6.72 Id be happy with 3:1 at the tcase

I would also re-consider this. I know that I like lower gears than a lot of others but with 47's that wouldn't be low enough for me.

Michael

I beat on my NP231 really hard, and it never did anything but ask for more (once I remembered to tighten my driveshaft bolts)....

buy these:
Advance Adapters 32 spline HD SYE.
Teralow 2 Low

and you're good to go...

optional:
Novak Shifter - works awesome, cant say enough good things.
Teralow 4:1 gears - No problems with mine even after 'exceding' the recomended rpm... :gee:

Alright I'll go Atlas as long as I can save up for it before fall fling.. peanut butter and jelly sandwiches here I come! :)

Gonna suck running without a winch and U-joint axle shafts o_O

With a 4:1 tcase i would have a 77.15:1: crawl ratio that should be more then enough right?

Last edited:
Alright I'll go Atlas as long as I can save up for it before fall fling.. peanut butter and jelly sandwiches here I come! :)

Gonna suck running without a winch and U-joint axle shafts o_O

With a 4:1 tcase i would have a 77.15:1: crawl ratio I suppose I have to gear more then that

Wheeling > food

PBJ and ramen FTW

Never mind I screwed it up With a 4.3:1 tcase I would have an 80.91:1 Crawl ratio

... I'm off to go get some Ramen

Last edited:
Never mind I screwed it up With a 4.3:1 tcase I would have an 80.91:1 Crawl ratio

... I'm off to go get some Ramen

If it were me I would go even lower than that.
Personally, I want the 4sp so that I get more options down to 5.44 (with taller gears than in your set up and shorter tires) but as I said, I like lower gears than most.

Michael
PS. Food is never a lower priority than my Jeep :D

Well I did it... I ordered an atlas 2 speed
They said its about 3 weeks out.

Gear ratio 4.3:1 (that's what they recomended which gives me the 80.91:1 crawl ratio)
32 spline front output
1350 yokes
XJ shifter (Fits in the stock shifter gate woot)
Electronic spedo
Drivers side drop

I agree but I'm having issues now too :(
The fab shop building my 4link and cage is having issues its family owned and theres a family dispute and my rig is stuck in it its to late to pull out :(
The shop makes hella good shit though they built this brake-o that was in a couple mags.
DSC_6366_jpg_jpg.jpg

Wow there webmaster sucks

Last edited:
Back